The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a funny question, I know. Here's my thing, my goats are tested and negative, and come from negative herds as well. But I struggle with worrying about a disease hiding away and wiping out my herd. I've been trying to relax about it and realize it's in God's hands, but it is something I do struggle with. I try to be careful in seeing that they have enough minerals, watching everyone for signs, and blood testing.

Anyone else relate?

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
I have so many problems going on since I moved that I have to admit I don't worry about it. I give the best care I can.

You do such a great job taking care of them and really know them well.

·
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. I feel silly sometimes worrying. I think my biggest fear is we sold a pair of wethers once, one passed away (UC) and we got the other back. Her property housed a single goat before she got my boys. They didn't come into contact with any goats from outside of my herd, but they did live on land where another goat had lived ... I did ask and they said she didn't have lumps ... she lived to 10, so that's a good sign ... but I just couldn't leave the last wether there since she asked me if I would take him back, you know? I tested him for all three and he came back negative (yay!) He tragically ended up being harvested at a year because he turned into a bully, but anyway.... I do try to prevent the very best I can. I guess with everything, it comes down to doing the best you can, and letting go of the rest, doesn't it?

·
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing I think I have to accept is you could buy a goat from auction, or rescue it, and it could be completely disease free and the picture of health for its whole life. Then you can buy from a reputable breeder, do everything right, and still end up with disease. Scary thought, but it goes to show that there is only so much we can do.

·
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And that's why we look forward to the next, haha! I keep telling my mom, "No disease, no death, no losing friends, no goodbyes, perfect peace and perfect health." Heaven has never sounded better. :)

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
It's a funny question, I know. Here's my thing, my goats are tested and negative, and come from negative herds as well. But I struggle with worrying about a disease hiding away and wiping out my herd. I've been trying to relax about it and realize it's in God's hands, but it is something I do struggle with. I try to be careful in seeing that they have enough minerals, watching everyone for signs, and blood testing.

Anyone else relate?
I'm not a bit paranoid about disease. I run a closed herd except for bucks, and I don't have a problem in the world with demanding testing if I see anything that raises a red flag. I raise my own doelings, I do a walk-through on a daily basis to check them, I do everything in my power to make sure they have good hay, proper management, and mineral 24/7, I get my vet involved and do the testing route whenever a problem warrants it, and I'm a crotchety old bitch, so that pretty much takes care of visits from other people. I don't see the point in borrowing trouble and I'm too damned old to lay awake nights worrying about stuff that hasn't happened. :laugh:

·
Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
I worry every time I send in blood for CAE testing... even though they have all tested negative before I just worry that one will come back as positive... I should have this years results tonight so today is going to be a LONG day...

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
^^ here's a discussion on CAE. there are similar ones for CL and Johnes, so do a search for them if you're worried about those.

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/cae-discussion-153031/

ThreeHavens, i'm sure your goats are in tip top shape! i'm a worrier too, so i get you. but you can only do what you can that is in your power. i think it's time you get some cuddles with your goaties and let your troubles melt away for a while! :D

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I worried about disease quite a bit before but since my lab said three of mine tested positive I've been really freaking out. We're pretty sure it's a mistake based on the facts and i've sent of another round of blood work but it's still scary. Not to mention after doing research i found this has botched up a lot of people's results. Like I said, still scary though. :(

Either way I know from now on I'll run a closed herd. I knew I would before and I was but now I'm dead set on that. I had friends who wanted to breed to my new bucks but now I'm doing a total bio secure lockdown. When shows come up all the does will just stay in the back of my big horse trailer so they won't be around other goats. I can and will do the best I can to continue to keep everyone healthy. I owe all my goaties that.

I'm sure all of yours are healthy though! If you do everything right there shouldn't be a reason for you to have problems :)

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
I agree... Know your herd, raise them with the best care you can, walk the herd a few times a day...my kids are great but can miss subtle signs of distress...Knowing your herd is the number one best defence against illness...they will tell you when they dont feel well..be prepared for what may come ( get a bottle of cd antitoxin lol) and enjoy them!

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Silly question here

I'm still learning. What would you do if one of your goats did come back CAE positive?
Do u keep them, sell them or ???
Justice kidd, not a silly question at all...its a hard place to be...if you sell them at a sell barn, then someone may buy them for a milker and continue the cycle...without knowing..if you sell them for meat, but they are healthy otherwise , its such a waste, if you advertise them, in respect for all goat owners you should reveal the CAE results...If you keep them then you need to become knowledgeable on CAE and practice CAE prevention, have a seperate place for them away from Negative goats..doable, but a pain...read the link one CAE given above to become informed..I believe every goat owner will in time deal with CAE at least once..Knowledge is power and can help yuou make that decision if and when the time comes...;)

·
346 Posts
I keep a closed herd now and I am super careful about contact with other goats at shows but I am still a nervous wreck while I'm waiting for test results to come back. My herd has always tested clean but I still worry about it around testing time. Otherwise I try to just let it go :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Justice kidd, not a silly question at all...its a hard place to be...if you sell them at a sell barn, then someone may buy them for a milker and continue the cycle...without knowing..if you sell them for meat, but they are healthy otherwise , its such a waste, if you advertise them, in respect for all goat owners you should reveal the CAE results...If you keep them then you need to become knowledgeable on CAE and practice CAE prevention, have a seperate place for them away from Negative goats..doable, but a pain...read the link one CAE given above to become informed..I believe every goat owner will in time deal with CAE at least once..Knowledge is power and can help yuou make that decision if and when the time comes...;)
Thank you
I look at the web page posted above just now
It is a good thing to know and understand.
Now I need to look at CL

I'm learning EVERYDAY new things on here
I love this site thank u all for being so helpful and friendly

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
I don't really freak. I take precautions when bringing a new goat in and I watch my herd for any type of sickness. When one does become sick that's when I'm a basket case....so I guess I need to save my energy for those times lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.