The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! We got Olivia on August 31st this past summer. The farmer told us she was already pregnant. We didn't see signs until about a month and a half two months ago. She is a small Pygmy who weighs around 20-25 pounds. These are pictures of her now. Would anyone be able to guesstimate how far along she is? And give me any pointers to help her when it is time?? Thanks so much!

Eye Goat Human body Jaw Goat-antelope

Dog breed Wood Goat Goat-antelope Terrestrial animal

Dog breed Working animal Fawn Goat Terrestrial animal

Attachments

· Registered
640 Posts
My pygmy/ nigerian cross does started working on their udders about 5 weeks ago. One has had a healthy buckling and I am still waiting on the other 2. I got them already bred also.I am new to goats too but my advice would be just keep checking them. I check their ligaments 2 times a day and watch their udders. I never noticed the shiny tight udder but I knew it was time because her udder was completely different shaped and her teats were filling with colostrum. Also I thought her ligaments were gone for several days but once you feel them gone you will know what to look for in the future, it is completely different feeling. I also have a baby monitor that I have in the house to listen for them when it is time but I still check on them because every doe is different and I do not want to miss it and something to go terribly wrong. I did use my birthing kit so make sure you have one handy. Also if it is cold be sure to get the kid or kids dried off fast but make sure your doe has some fluids to clean so she knows they are hers. I put him in front of her while I was drying him off so we were doing it together. It was around 32 degrees when she kidded. When she was done I gave her hot molasses water and she drank a lot. Make sure the kid or kids get some colostrum before leaving them. Like I said I am new to goats also and this was my first experience so maybe others will have more helpful advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.