The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if my 2 year old doe is bred or not but my buck has been following her around constantly for about 5 days he is always by her side and has tried to mount. By this action does it mean shes already bred or just in heat

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
He may of gotten her. If he was trying to mount and she wasn't running from him.

Is she still in season at 5 days? Is she running from him at all or is she still standing for him?

Write down the dates he was mounting and count 18 to 21 days later and see if she comes in again.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
At this point it doesn't mean anything except that he is following her around and trying to mount. For him to have possibly bred her, she would need to be in standing heat. I would do at Toth Boer Goats suggested - make a note of the dates you observed him trying to mount and see what happens when she should be cycling again.

·
14,760 Posts
I agree, make notes so you can have an idea of when the doe comes in heat.

The two bucks we've used for breeding were similar in one way. They never harassed a doe they'd already bred. Once they were bred they left them alone.
Last year the yearling buck kept following a particular doe around because he knew he hadn't bred her yet. He'd try to mount her, he'd flirt with her, and just follow her around like a lost puppy until she came in heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts