How small is too small???

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by goatnutty, Sep 19, 2009.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I have not been on in a long timme!! lol But, I have another question...so here it goes! I have a really nice doe named Bessy that is just not really growing. She will be 2 in December and I want to breed her but do not know if she is big enough. How small is too small?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Do you have a picture? Could she have had a case of cocci when she was younger?

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I have a picture and will upload it later. She has not had cocci. She is about 4 inches shorter that my 5 year old registered doe. She is about 28 inches at the withers. Oh and she is a boer.

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Does she possibly just have shorter legs? Remember, your 5 yr old is full grown but your 2yr old is still growing.
    My rule of thumb (Boers) is 1 yr AND 100lbs. So if she is close to 100lb she's good to go! :thumb:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hey Sara....glad to see you ...it's been a while.... :hug:

Is she at least 75 lbs? You can breed them at 75 lbs ....2 years... is old enough...

If the buck isn't huge and does not come from huge size lines..... then she should be OK..... What type of buck are you using... :wink:

was she a triplet? sometimes a triplet can be of smaller size.

Boers don't stop growing until around 4 years old...

Have you ever tested her ....for worms and cocci? These could be silent and you won't know that they even have them....in which... can stunt growth.. :hug:

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I really do not know how much she ways but I know that she is probably at least 75 lbs. and she was a twin or a triplet. She does have shorter legs and I know she is not done growing. My buck is a big boy but he is no bigger than my doe that is 5. I know for a fact that she doesn't have worms and she is cocci free as far as I know. Thank you for your imput and it is nice to be back. :hug:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome Sara.... :wink: ..She sounds like.. she is OK in size... to breed ....and...she is 2 ............being smaller....and being... it is going to be her first time....I would definitely..try ..to be there for her... at kidding time.... :hug:

I am glad... you are back to...sara... :thumbup: :cool: :greengrin: :hug:

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Ok thank you...I already have my kiddings planned out for this winter so I think I will wait till later and breed her for a summer kidding so I can spend more time with her and the kids. When would be a good time for her to kid? When do they sell the easiest.