The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all i thought id share a funny story with you.
I spend alot of time with my new goats since i got them just over a year ago. Fairly recently i found myself without any place to stay for 4 days and i stayed on the land with my goats, sleeping out with them on a cot. They'd usually be fairly close to me at bed time then wonder into the trees for the night. Almost every time id wake id find at least a few of my goats were up listening to the noises of the night. I do not have a guard animal for them(looking for one now). They would NEVER make a noise at night not even if i called them to which they always answer during the day time usually in unison. On occasion id hear coyotes at night which surprised me since id had zero problems with predation for a year other than a neighbors dog. I was kind of paranoid after hearing the coyotes so during the night if id hear something id take a peek with the flashlight or possibly take a walk around. On my last night i was sound asleep and i woke up at about 2am to my herd queen gently poking at my head and instantly knew what the deal was. I could hear next door that some sort of animal was pestering a goose and she was squawking and making all sorts of racquet trying to get the intruder to go away. It had scared the bagessus out of my goats and they came to me to protect them because they were so scared. I thought it was SO cute. I was going to go check but figured it wasnt the best idea to go shining a super bright flashlight across the neighbors property in the middle of the night. And the dumb goats want to go with me. So i simply locked them up in their pen for the night to keep them safe. Atleast they know daddy will protect them or my herd queen Brownie does.

·
Super Moderator
58,914 Posts
Herd dynamics are always fascinating. Especially stuff like who guards when. Hopefully you can be with your goats full time in the near future.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
What a neat story!

·
Registered
30,634 Posts
what a great story!!
goats are smart...they have me trained to jumpthrough hoops for them..lol

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
My goats are very clever creatures. My herd queen opens several kinds of latches, and has tried to tutor her daughter (Patti, in my avatar) to do the same. There are clips over all the latches now, of course.

At one point Patti knew "lay down" and "stay"; she was clicker trained. I take her on walks.

Gypsy, the herd queen, reads people like open books. When Laura (Trickyroo) visited, Gypsy took an instant liking to her, which is somewhat unusual for her to do with strangers. Same with Honey Bee, my bottle baby Laura was picking up. Honey LOVE attention but would never let anyone but me hold her. Laura scooped her right up and Honey started kissing her. Match made in Heaven. :)

The goats also knew when I was grieving over my lab, Shadow. Some of them gave me a respectful distance, a few others stood there, not asking for attention, just there in case I needed them.

You can probably tell, I'm very in love with my goats. :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
I notice a quite a spread in the intelligence levels of my Alpines. There are two that I can tell are very smart. They know their names, know voice commands etc. Daria my herd queen is so intelligent she manipulates me into doing stuff for her without my realizing. One example of this is that she likes to linger over her grain and take FOREVER because she knows I will give her more attention trying to cajole her into eating. Then she will refuse to eat unless I unclip her,go drink some water, eat some minerals, etc to draw it out as long as possible.

Some of my friendliest goats are also on the dumb side, bless their hearts.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I was pretty happy thinking mine weren't tricky or super smart.....

Then today they showed me. They figured out how to get into the duck pen from the barn side, go out the little duck door all to eat the taller grass that is in the duck's penned area. It was the 4 kids that masterminded this escape.

They looked pretty funny all running back through the duck door (especially the fluffy butts of the Angoras) when we called out to them that they were caught and in trouble. I'm not sure how long they were in with the ducks but now we've fortified the lock on the duck pen.

·
Registered
402 Posts
We have a small 4' x 6' wooden chicken coop. The coop is inside the goat enclosure. There is no shelter for the goats if it starts to rain (so we always bring them inside the barn for rain) well one day there was a bad downpour and I didn't get to the goats in time. I went to the gate and looked all over for them but they were nowhere in sight. Then I looked inside the chicken coop, which only has one entry point, and that is a 1x 1 foot opening on the ground for the chickens. All 10 goats were inside that coop! 5 adults and 5 small kids, taking refuge from the rain. I was amazed!

·
14,760 Posts
Goats are such smart animals. There are times during the summer if it's not going to rain, I will lock the adults out of the barn to give it a break, especially so it can dry out when we've had rain that kept them inside all day the previous day/days.

Typically there is always one who is alert, standing and watching. I notice they take turns. Even when the rest are in the barn, someone is usually up watching.

Other than that, smart, haha...more like silly antics. We have one that can open the barn doors, etc. so we have to use clasps on everything or she'll figure out how to get it open.

We have a 6mo doe...who, when she was 4mo got a buddy who was 2 days old <bottle baby doe>, and she mothers her. I just love watching them. She's such a smarty anyway. When the babies umbilical cord was drying up and coming off she would clean it and lick at it like a mama would do.

Oh, and my son taught my daughter's yearling how to eat her grain from a spoon...lol:D

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I know pack goat owners who have taught their goats commands using bird calls. They have excellent memories. Legion followed me into the barn one day and outta fun, jump up on the milking platform. He had never had grain before (he hates all treats) but started eating and really like it. A week Later I let him out of his pen so we could go for a hike. On our way to the truck we passed by the barn door and he stopped. Lightly kicked it a couple of times and looked at me. So I asked him "What are you doing. We are going for a hike." But again, he scratched at the door. So I walked over, opened it and he instantly turned right and jump up on the milking platform and started eating grain...

1 time, his first time of being allowed in the barn and he remembered exactly the way he got in and what was inside a week later. Now of course he makes a stop at the door as we are on our way to go for a walk / fishing. I have to go over to him and lead him far enough away from the door before I can tie his lead to his saddle and he wont turn around and walk back to the barn.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Mine will come by name. If I clap from outside the fence while they are in the barn (they can't see me), they will come running. One will put her foot on the feed tub letting u know that she wants some. Thru ate very smart

·
Registered
402 Posts
My best milker lets know when she wants more grain on the stand. When her bucket is empty she turns around at me and sticks her tongue out repeatedly. It's so funny. She is a Nubian

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Ah yes, on the stand... we have some does that are not only smart but hateful as well. If you dont start to milk them before they are done with their grain, they will poop on the milk line as if to say "The service in the place stinks!" :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
HAHAHA!!! loving everyone's stories!!!

I don't have great stories, but I do have a friend who told me goats were dumber than sheep b/c if it rains and you throw a rock in their direction, the goat will try to stand on the rock. i'm not sure if that's a sign of being dumb, I think goats are just doing what feels natural to them (goats like rocks.....duh!). I had to explain that to him...even though supposedly his family was into farming years ago.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
HAHAHA!!! loving everyone's stories!!!

I don't have great stories, but I do have a friend who told me goats were dumber than sheep b/c if it rains and you throw a rock in their direction, the goat will try to stand on the rock. i'm not sure if that's a sign of being dumb, I think goats are just doing what feels natural to them (goats like rocks.....duh!). I had to explain that to him...even though supposedly his family was into farming years ago.
That's ridiculous, of COURSE they will stand on the rock. Rocks are cool, man. :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts