The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer is coming to an end and breeding season is soon to be here and I was wondering what is the soonest i can trie to start breeding?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Depends on their age, when they come into heat, and when you want them to kid.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Yep...as soon as they begin their heat cycle...

I have read skipping the first cycle give higher chances of multiples..that the goat lets down more eggs after the first cycle..?? Not sure if this is true but I dont mind skipping a cycle to find out :D Momma likes twins : )

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Agreed. Looks like you have dairy goats. Is that correct? Our Nubians have already been in heat twice now and are completely ready for breeding. I would think about what time you want to breed them and watch for heat signs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed. Looks like you have dairy goats. Is that correct? Our Nubians have already been in heat twice now and are completely ready for breeding. I would think about what time you want to breed them and watch for heat signs.
Ye but Nubians are year round breeders arn't they? Oh and I do have dairy goats

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
What breed are your dairy goats?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Ye but Nubians are year round breeders arn't they? Oh and I do have dairy goats
Nubians are typically seasonal like the standard dairy breeds ;) The only year-round breeders are Nigerian Dwarfs, Boers, Kikos (I believe), Pygmies, Spanish Meat goats, Myotonics, Kinders.

I do have to add, though, that there are quite a few Nubians who breed year round. But pertaining to my statement, ours tend to be seasonal. :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Nubians are typically seasonal like the standard dairy breeds ;) The only year-round breeders are Nigerian Dwarfs, Boers, Kikos (I believe), Pygmies, Spanish Meat goats, Myotonics, Kinders.

I do have to add, though, that there are quite a few Nubians who breed year round. But pertaining to my statement, ours tend to be seasonal. :)
And I thought that only Nigerians were year round breeders! I guess I've just never read all that much on meat goats; just dairy.
But I was surprised that your Nubians have already been in heat twice! Our Alpines haven't yet, and I believe I read somewhere or someone told me that the larger dairy breeds can come into heat as early as August, but usually not till September. :shrug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts