How soon can I get milk?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by mikenandrea, Nov 2, 2009.

1. mikenandrea

mikenandrea New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Ok.. I have 2 ND's does and one buck.. How soon after they have "dated" can i start milking and for how long? Sorry for such a newbie question, but I seriously have no idea.. :shrug:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well the gestation for a goat is 5 months -- then there is colostrum for a couple days/weeks and after that depending if you leave the kids on mom or pull to bottle feed you can start milking sometime after it turns into colostrum or when they are 4 weeks old (by separating at night and milking in the morning).

So after breeding figure on 6 months before you can start milking

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with Stacey, I leave babies with moms and separate at night once they are 3-4 weeks old, this way I can get a morning milking and the kids benefit from mom the rest of the day.

6 months from the time they are bred til the time you can start to milk is the "waiting" time.

4. mikenandrea

mikenandrea New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Great.. Ok.. Another question about milking.. How long should I expect to be able to milk them?

5. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    We pull our babies here for CAE prevention and also we just love bottle babies. It makes selling easyer also when the kids are wanting to be petted any time folks see them.

You can get milk up to 10 months then you dry them off and rest them for 2 till she kids again.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    each goat is differnt but for a couple months for sure

7. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

The "industry standard" is to milk for 305 days. Two months after their second breeding you are suppose to dry them up. I am in my first year of milking and have milked my two Nigi's now for 5 and a half months; I am now trying to slow them down to 2 cups of milk a day each (1 Quart total) as it is hard to use all the milk they produce and since they are still so young I want to give them a bit of a break before breading them next month..

They have consistently produced 6 cups of milk a day since I went to once a day milking about 6 weeks ago. Prior to that they produced 1/2 gallon a day (one quart each) on two milkings a day. I have learned to make soft cheese, hard cheese, yogurt and buttermilk, plus of course ice cream and pudding.

I know in cows that if you wean the calf too early (or quit milking early for a goat), the next year and thereafter you might have trouble getting them to agree to staying fresh for a longer time. So, I am making sure I make it to 305 days this first go round.

8. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I am just now drying up my Nubian who I have been milking for 18 months. Some goats you can just keep milking if you don't breed them and don't dry them up. I wanted to breed her this year. Next year I will milk her through the winter again. I think you can do this with some goats of any breed that gets milked. It might depend on the goat. They make less milk than they do in the beginning, but you get to have fresh milk. I used to freeze it, but it separates. It was great to have fresh milk all winter. And Spring and summer and fall. It does make it kind of tough to go anywhere.

Jan