How soon can you rebreed after a miscarriage?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by myfainters, Dec 6, 2009.

1. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Hi All,

Last month one of my does aborted her triplets. She came back into season 2 days ago and it was a pretty strong heat cycle because my bucks were going crazy!!! I was afraid they might tear the fence down so I locked her and one of my 6 month old doelings(also in heat) in the kidding pen. My hubby and I then ran into town for a bit. I came home to find my mini silky buck IN with this doe and doeling!!!!!!!!! :hair: The little bugger had pushed a doghouse across the buck pen against the fence and used it to jump over the fence!!! UGH He was never meant to breed any of these girls!!! :angry: The doe that just aborted last month is a standard sized heavily muscled doe that I was looking forward to breeding to my fainter buck next season and the little doeling is WAY too young! AHHHH Anyone want a polled, tri colored mini silky buck??? This little bugger doesn't faint so he is my little mischief maker. He is very friendly though!!! :- ) MAKE ME AN OFFER!!!!! I paid $800 (not including transport) for him but my property is only set up for fainters (they don't jump) Just make me an offer! ANY OFFER!!! LOL

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would imagine that a miscarriage would be treated as a kidding, depending on how far along the mommy was and the cause for the miscarriage.

If she does settle, treat her as you would any otther doe but be watchful of a loss of condition and I do hope that the doeling was not bred..some "oops" breedings do well and others don't. If she wasn't in heat then she'll likely not have been bred.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if the doe was in good condition after her miscarriage then I see no harm from being bred right back. Now an underconditioned doe will have a harder time with the pregnancy. You know your goat though and treat her accordingly.

The ooops on the young doe- not ideal of course but never the end of the world. Many factors go into breeding as we all know. Was she in standing heat? will she even settle? I would treat her like any other bred doe, dont over feed or underfeed. Some does will have a growth spurt wen pregnant.

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Aww, even if she did take, I bet she will have beautiful babies. Who knows? You might get a really nice kid that will sell well. You might be surprised at what you might get!