How soon do you breed back doe?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Di, May 1, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, Cocoa's boy is ready to wean. He's going to new home Saturday. How long do you wait till you rebreed your does? I haven't seen her come back into heat. I know with larger breeds they don't start cycling until Sept or so. But, how about your NDG's?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I milk my does til usually October/November then dry them off to breed again come November/December for March/April kiddings.

Some breeders do have does produce kids for them 3x in 2 years, it would depend on the condition of the doe and if she can handle being preggy again within a couple months. I like my girls production but feel that 1 kidding a year is fine for them and me, and the fact that aI milk them is like them feeding kids for 8+ months.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would never breed back until the next year. Yes you can do it and it is done quite a bit, but it is really hard on the doe. DI are you thinking about doing this to a Cashmere? If so it will reduce they fiber quantity big time, and it will hurt the quality as well.

4. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    I've done back-to-back breedings within a few months of freshening when I have bought does from out of state and wanted them bred to the breeder's buck before I brought the doe home. I've done the same form time to time for my buyers. But that's an exception because the does need a lot of extra TLC when you are doing that to make sure they get back in condition during a pregnancy and before they need to start milking again. At home though I wouldn't freshen a doe more than once a year as a rule.

Kristen

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Thanks all! No Lori, it's not a Cashmere, it's one Nigerian, Cocoa, I wouldn't normally do it. But, she had a really easy birth and only had one buckling. He will be going to his new home saturday. He is such a nice kid (for a wether), she's not the goat I would keep a buck from (ff, she did have a nice udder though), but I'd love to have a little doeling that was that nice. Just thinking.