The Goat Spot Forum banner

How soon is too soon to re-breed a Nigerian Dwarf Goat?

965 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ksalvagno 
#1 ·
Hi all, wondering what’s the safe amount of time between a doe kidding and then getting her pregnant again?

I get that they go into heat all year, but I want to know what is best for her.

#2 · (Edited)
I personally would wait at least 8 weeks but think 16 weeks+ would be much better. I got a doe and her previous owner had her living with the buck. They had her for 2 years and in those 2 years, she kidded 4 times with 3 kids each kidding and she dam raised them all! That's only about a 3-week break between kidding and being bred again! Other than being mineral deficient, which was because they didn't offer any at all, she was fine. I would probably go off of the doe mainly though and definitely, wouldn't breed her only 3 weeks after kidding!

If she is a good weight, healthy and active, I would go ahead and breed her if you want too. I bred my first ever doe twice in one year, just this year. She was healthy and good weight and so far seems just fine. She got about a 2-month break(I bottle raised the kids but I milked her for 3 months) from producing milk. So she was bred 5 months after kidding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.