How soon to rebreed

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Jenna, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Hi! My (nigerian) doe was bred late so she kidded as a FF at about 1 1/2 years, 7 weeks ago. She had a SUPER easy kidding w/ large twins ,though she is a small doe. How early can I rebreed her?? I am planning on drying her off as soon as her kids are weaned. Thanks!!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    they at minimum ...need at least.. a month dry up time....more is recommended... but that is minimum... :wink:

3. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Why not keep milking her yourself? Unless you don't want the milk. I, myself, would wait until fall to breed her again.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I only breed once a year. It is so hard on their bodies to try to do it more often. YES it is done but those goats tend to die at a earlier age then those bred once a year.

5. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Ok, I think I will wait until this fall....I definitely Don't want to do anything unhealthy for her! Thank you!!

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
  7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My girls are bred in the late fall to kid once a year as well....I do ilk my girls until a month before I have them bred, I make sure I have enough milk in the freezer though for the dry months. I am one that firmly believes that a doe needs a healthy break before kidding and lactating again, so mine get a 6 month break before they do it all over again.( This would be a breeding at 7-8 months past kidding and a 6 month break from lactation)

8. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    You should ideally give 3 months post kidding for a uterus to get back in shape.
    I only breed once a year.

9. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Thanks guys! I wasn't talking about breeding her right now..Just asking how long you wait before rebreeding. :wink: This is a really helpful forum!! :thumbup: