The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a "papaws girl' and we raised goats together. We had about 30 goats... Bucks ran with the does, we didn't separate the buckling's from the herd, and very rarely separated the young does from the heard. I think we separated the babies from the heard 2 years of out 8 years raising them. We wormed 2 times a year. Trimmed hooves 4 times a year. Cleaned out the barn 2 times a year (if that). Fed sweet feed, and grass hay, minerals every now and then.. We had fat healthy happy goats. We only lost 2 babies in all the years of having goats, our boxers attacked them and we had to kill them :(. We lost 2 adult does. In all those years...

I have had goats since march, already lost two. And one is sick, now.

I really can not believe how much different these few months have been then the 8 years I raised them with my grandpa. I really have a lot to learn... but I love my goaties! :lovey:

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you :)

I was amazed at the "medicine cabinet" that I need to keep. So much to know lol

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My horse medicine cabinet consist of vetericyn, and that is all lol :)

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
I'm sorry you lost a couple. I believe the changes have more to do with our soil quality and the soil not providing the minerals and vitamins in the plants.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm sorry for your lost 2. Hopefully the sick one will pull through. Do you know what it is?

I too am amazed at the vast changes in farming, soil quality, air quality, worm load, and just general luck....oh how my luck has changed over the years :) Actually, sometimes it feels as though it changes minute to minute.

But with all of that we also have a more available knowledge base, internet groups to help when needed, and vast medicines of all types at our disposal.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
it will also depend on if you started with healthy goats or one already dealing with issues (even unseen). Some goats are hardier then others too. I also had no issues or losses (until they ate something poisonous) for years and year and then my new ones had issues that they came with. Those cleared up easily and then had no issues for years again.

I never had a worm issue, coccidia, etc until I brought in a goat WITH it. Then Ive had to deal with it since then. I dont know your issues or why you lost your goats but I would aggressively treat to get down to the bottom of the problem so you can get on with just enjoying the goats.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks :) Just got to focuse on the girls and boy I got now... Hopefully I have learnt enough now to know what to do so I won't lose any more.

Any one who raises goats who has young children, do you let them get involved at a young age like 2 ?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I would! im only 16. but my now 3 yo before messes with thebgoats. I wouldst make them start walking them nd stuff. but mess and pet them.
and 3 or 4 they could (if wanting to) they could walk the calmer babies. just like youbhave kids 5ish showing mini heffers.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My son is almost 1. He goes to the barn 5 days a week normally. Loves the animals! He grabs on to the goats and walks behind them. :) He loves animals. I was just worried about how you would deal with a loss of an animal with a child that young.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
So sorry for your losses! Another contributor, the insecticides have been proven to overload the liver of livestock. Some people are now in the habit of herbally cleansing their herd once a year to improve hardiness. Always lots to learn ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts