How to brace a market goat: HELP ME

Discussion in '4H/FFA Corner' started by awedd, Jan 27, 2013.

1. awedd

awedd Abbie Weddle

Jan 27, 2013
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Hello! I'm fairly new to the world of FFA and livestock shows, and I'm looking for some tips on bracing my goat. I've got a market goat, and my first show's in mid February. I'm not entirely sure how to brace, and I can't find much on the web. If anyone's got any links to good videos that help, that'd be great! I'd love some tips in the comments and photos would be excellent as well. Thanks everyone!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Youtube should also have a selection of setup type videos.

4. caprine crazy

caprine crazy Boer Lover 4 Life!

Jun 12, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I know a few members on here that show Boer wethers and would be willing to help you out. I would love to here what they have to say because I have wondered this myself.

5. parkinsonfarms

parkinsonfarms Senior Member

May 10, 2011
    Maysville, Missouri
    Personally I've never braced but it's almost exactly like bracing a sheep. Ill try to find a picture for you.

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot.

6. parkinsonfarms

May 10, 2011
    Maysville, Missouri
    Found these on google.

Hope they help

Attached Files:

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I found this thread, thought it might help:

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f205/how-get-your-goat-brace-push-131051/

My kids are doing a market wether this year, and they need to learn how to brace as well. I've seen it done while we were at the shows, but actually teaching the goats to do it will be real....interesting lol

I think the only thing I don't like about bracing is the way some of these kids get really... rough? I guess that would be the word. I just really do not like the way a lot of kids brace, many picking them up so they are basically just standing on their hind legs.
    At the shows that we went to when I was able to watch some of the market classes, there were a couple of judges that told the kids if they braced like that, then they'd be asked to leave the ring.

So I guess when kids learn to brace, IMO, don't be so aggressive, don't look 'mean' or 'rough.' Sure, the judge was judging the goats, but IMO it just made the kids look bad being so aggressive & rough with the goats.

8. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    Picking the goat up is not bracing and I do not like it. It makes the back leg structure look off, hips look bad and shoulders. Not to mention it makes non-livestock people think of livestock owners and farmers in a poor way because it can look cruel.

Candice posted a great link with a lot of good advice. I will post pictures of my wether last year with corrections on what should be different... Only one is good and to my standard and ues, I am a perfectionist haha

9. parkinsonfarms

May 10, 2011
    Maysville, Missouri
    I don't brace any of my goats so I don't know much about bracing other that I don't do it.

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Dani - Glad I am not the only one that thinks it looks bad to pick them up, I was really appalled and told my kids I don't care what, that's not something I want to ever see them doing.

Nadine - sadly, I did notice on the kids outside of Novice/intermediate classes, if you didn't brace, your goat didn't seem to stack up as well against the ones who were bracing. But that's my observations here at the fairs we were at.
    It's different everywhere you go, especially state to state, from what I've heard.

11. parkinsonfarms

May 10, 2011
    Maysville, Missouri
    I really never had a problem with my goats. Most of the people here don't brace and those that do don't really place well in our circuit but we've slowly by slowly been seeing more bracing so we are teaching all the younger kids how too sing as this Is probably my last year showing 4-h/FFA fairs. :/

12. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    We've braced for 3 years on our circuit. Now alot of our novice kids brace or pretend brace too. My six year old brother could brace my wethers last year... he did good considering the goat was as tall as him haha.

13. HamiltonAcresBoers

HamiltonAcresBoers Premium Member- Kansas Goat Breeder

May 9, 2012
    Olathe, KS
    My #1 rule with bracing is all four on the floor. Meaning do not pick the goat up by its head. Goats aren't sheep and shouldn't be braced as such.

14. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    Totally agree! I show sheep too and you handle them so different from goats. Sheep are very easy to train and very easy to reset and brace... goats are more challenging, which I like. At the sometime sheep get scared really easy and goats don't, I like that too.

15. ewarren2014

ewarren2014 New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Hey! I'm also an FFA member and have shown both boar and dairy goats for the past thirteen years. I'm not trying to sound like a "know it all" but my experience is that there are two different interpretations of bracing goats. I personally agree with the other people who have already commented that lifting the front feet up on the goat does not only give the owner of the animal a bad image, but if you also look at the anatomy of the animal as well, it's really not good for it either. When you lift the front legs off the ground, your also pushing the neck to go back as well, breaking the crops (bone Infront of the sholders) on the goat. Many shows (IncludIng nat'l shows) are starting to D.Q. anyone they find bracing the animal this way. Judges have called it "deer in the brick wall" brace.
    However, a good way to keep your goat under control and also to show some of that rear muscle off, is to put your knee intront of the chest of your weather. You may have to work on this before you go to a show with them, but usually the goat will naturally push against your leg. I've done this for the past Years and it really works.
    Again to trying to be a know it all. I'm sure there are many people on here that know and have much more experience than I. I hope everything goes well for you with your goats this year. :)

16. HamiltonAcresBoers

May 9, 2012
    Olathe, KS
    Here's a great picture of bracing. I'll be buying a wether from this breeder this year.

image-2934108534.jpg

17. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    Love Levi's goats! He has some great stuff! Now I am sooo jealous haha

18. HamiltonAcresBoers

May 9, 2012
    Olathe, KS
    I'm getting choice of his magic mike wethers :) one born so far. I'm already in love lol! I get my weaned baby in April.

image-2204165320.jpg

19. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    To practice take some feed out it in a jacket pocket then lead your goats around stoo him and set him up then push him back till he's pushing against you, give him some treats for bracing (pushing againstt your leg) then set his legs up and make shure he's still pushing against your leg after he's set up give him a treat hold him there for Maby 20-30 seconds give him anther treat then start walking again then repeat. do this for 5-10 minutes a day almost everyday slowly iincreasing the time he's bracing
    Slowly feed him off the treats for pushing against you and just for bracing correctly (feet in correct place) then wean him off for bracing
    Then give him some for when hell brace right when you stop and push your knee into him ( it should take less than 5 seconds)
    If you get to where hell brace with you messing with his legs that's fine but it looks better if you can "stop and stick it"
    Iv learned bribery works best!!
    Did your teachers not bribe you with prizes when you did your hw? And you slowly got weaned off the prizes to nothing.
    Exactly how this is gonna work :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  20. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    The only thing with these pics is don't pick up he goat!!!! 90% of judges dont like it! My county judge told everyone to put their goats down and in showmanship he said we need to put their feet on the ground and keep them that way and it dosent look good

And i agree it dosent