How to calculate due date for a potentially bred doe...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by logansmommy7, Jan 6, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Just wondering-do you count from the day that the doe goes in heat and meets the buck as to when her due date would be? We had one with about an 18-20 day cycle and we are on day 26 now that she has been with the buck...she is a proven doe so we are thinking she might be bred. How do you calculate the potential due date or what day she is on? I have been counting from the day she met the buck...

:whatgoat:

2. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Thanks! Yeah..I get it...they did the deed quite a few times and she wasn't having a problem with it...so I'm guessing we are looking at May 11! Here's to hoping!! May she not go in heat again. UNTIL AFTER SHE KIDS!

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I go with the day bred, if it was witnessed. Also, watch her for a "5 day heat"...some does will go back into standing heat 5-7 days after the day they were bred. Angel did that to me back in October...so now I have 2 due dates for her :veryangry:

5. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Nope she didn't come back into heat...can we assume yet that she is bred? On day 26?

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think it's safe to say that she settled...especially since she has a normal 18-20 day cycle :dance: