The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here.

We have some goats who have basically converted to wild goats since my gpa passed, and it's proven hard to catch them. We don't want to try inhumane methods so, is there a way to sedate them though food or natural herbs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this problem when we first got some of our goats and they weren’t comfortable with us like they are now. I would start by gathering them up to maybe a smaller gated area or a shed. Then you can try to get them close with food and catch them which will typically work well. But we also had one goat that was still scared and didn’t want anything to do with us or the food so in that case we had to use a halter. We would just open the halter try throwing it at them and then get closer to them and put it on correctly. They might not like it at first but this is what has worked for me and they’ve come to be okay with it. Hope this helps! I know it’s not easy.

·
Registered
30,157 Posts
Can try a catch pen. Set up a pen with feeders. Add feed and minerals daily. They get used to going in the pen. Once you have an opportunity to close the gate. Go in the pen and walk among them but not touching then unless they approach you. Being once tame should speed things up. Time and patience.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had this problem when we first got some of our goats and they weren't comfortable with us like they are now. I would start by gathering them up to maybe a smaller gated area or a shed. Then you can try to get them close with food and catch them which will typically work well. But we also had one goat that was still scared and didn't want anything to do with us or the food so in that case we had to use a halter. We would just open the halter try throwing it at them and then get closer to them and put it on correctly. They might not like it at first but this is what has worked for me and they've come to be okay with it. Hope this helps! I know it's not easy.
Thank you. I should add that the space where they are is wide, and they escape from it often, so a lot of times it involves neighbours trying to help us run them down to catch them. I'll try getting some goat pellets and see if it works, and hopefully getting an alter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can try a catch pen. Set up a pen with feeders. Add feed and minerals daily. They get used to going in the pen. Once you have an opportunity to close the gate. Go in the pen and walk among them but not touching then unless they approach you. Being once tame should speed things up. Time and patience.
We're going to try this, thank you. I'll update you when tried.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts