The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning! We have a loafing shed that has 60/40 sand as the floor. We muck it out every 3 days and put fresh hay down for them to sleep on at night. They all (17 total) come back to the loafing shed each night. My question is: how do we clean the top 4 or 5 inches of sand since they urinate on it all night and on days when it's raining? We have thought of using a hoe to chop it up but that doesn't really help turn up fresh sand......

·
Registered
13 Posts
How about get wood shavings from TSC or sawdust from a local wood mill to cover the sand? It should be much more absorbent and easier to scrape off just that wood layer.
Plus Mushrooms will tend to grow in the piles of used sawdust, and you can plant your own Mushroom spawn to get edible Mushrooms

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree on the rubber mats with shavings and hay. I have used them for goats on top of concrete floor garage and on top of a wood floor shed.
Easy to clean everything off with a snow shovel,
Sometimes might need pitch fork or clam fork shovel to break up the hay if it gets too thick.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Good Morning! We have a loafing shed that has 60/40 sand as the floor. We muck it out every 3 days and put fresh hay down for them to sleep on at night. They all (17 total) come back to the loafing shed each night. My question is: how do we clean the top 4 or 5 inches of sand since they urinate on it all night and on days when it's raining? We have thought of using a hoe to chop it up but that doesn't really help turn up fresh sand......
We do deep bedding in winter. It works great for us. Pretty much you have a compost pile under your goats. So long as you do not "turn" it it should not smell. If it does smell cause it gets crazy wet we add a bit of pdz and it takes care of it. If the floor gets too high we take a few inches off of it. Then in spring we clean it all out of there and do like you are doing now. Cleaning daily with small cleans then every few weeks mucking everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts