The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feed my boys in the morning, afternoon and evening every day, and they are 4 weeks old. I want to cut it down to two bottles but I'm not quite sure how to get rid of the afternoon bottle.
I have already cut it down to a smaller size, and made the morning/night bottles bigger, but they still cry for the small bottle. Do I just leave it small until they stop caring about it? Do I keep decreasing it until it's barely worth making the bottle? Or should I just eventually cut it out?
Would giving it to them every second day help?
Sorry about all the questions, I want to make this as easy as possible for them. Thanks :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Depending on the time of year and how well they are eating pellets and hay - I either reduce it until it's about 6-8 oz, then cut it out, or simply stop giving it without reducing it. Sometimes I add part of it to the other 2 bottles, sometimes I don't - again, depending on how well they are eating pellets and hay.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I cut out bottles by offering water. A little warm water instead of milk gets them to forget about that bottle easily.

hth,
Agreed :) that's what we do and it works like a charm on most of them :) had one that still loved her daily water bottle lol! Bit she didn't cry for it when I did stop it after a few days :)

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so I'm from Australia but here is how much and what I feed:
7:30am : 450mL of milk, and a yakult (60mL probiotic stuff)
from 1:30-3:00 (depending on if I'm home): 250mL milk
7:00-8:00pm: 450mL

It used to be 400mL three times a day but I got it down to that much.

So you think switching it to warm water will work? They know how to eat well, but they obviously prefer a nice warm bottle to dry hay and food :p

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
its not good to feed water from a bottle,it can casue illness...to cut bottles dont make the other bottle larger....just stop one bottle...they will soon forget about it...offer plenty of fresh hay and water or electrolytes in a dish...you can offer pellet grain ..they wont eat much right now but soon will..toss and refresh daily so mold wont be an issue...here is an article to explain why feeding water in a bottle is dangerous to kid goat..: ) best wishes
http://goat-link.com/content/view/198/33/#.UbKrnPaDR68

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
So you think switching it to warm water will work? They know how to eat well, but they obviously prefer a nice warm bottle to dry hay and food :p
I wouldn't. There is always the possibility that it could confuse them as to the water source, and cause problems later. If they are eating good, simply take away the middle bottle. No different than weaning them off Mom.

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm making the other bottles larger so that they still get the amount they need in the day. Though I'm not sure when or how to start properly weaning them either *sigh*

I quickly read that page... it says large amounts. The bottle I would switch to water as per other advice would only be 8oz. Is that too much?

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
The kids can still only digest so much milk at once...the idea of reducing bottles is to encourage grazing...Keep a watch on the tummies...you want to see firm flat (ish) tummies..not too poochy or sunken in...too much milk at once sits and can become toxic making baby sick...as for water as goatcrazy said...it can confuse them as to where there water source comes from..I know its hard and seems mean to take a whole bottle away..but its better to go cold turkey then to add a water bottle...if you feel they are not getting enough fluids you can offer an electolyte bottle..but again its prolonging the weening off the one bottle..if they truly are hungry without three feedings then maybe cutting a bottle right now is not the right time....they may need another few weeks or so...Best wishes

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
I feed four bottles a day...then when the baby is doing real well and growing I cut to 3 bottles at about 4-5 weeks..I dont add milk to the 3 remaining bottles..at about 6-8 weeks we go to two bottles, again if the kid is doing well and eating hay and grain...by the time the kid if 3 months we are at one bottle a day..usually a morning bottle...I will keep feeding them one bottle until I see no need...They are usually completly weened by 4-5 months...You can do this faster or slower based on need..as long as they eat hay and drink water from a bucket and chew a cud...they will continue to thrive on hay and feed ...I hope this helps...I know how fustrating it all can be : ) They will be just fine..: )

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of them is thriving well, I often see him chewing cud. Though the other always gets sick in the morning after his bottle. I didn't think the bottle was too big but maybe I should reduce it a bit...
It's very hard to judge.
They both know how to drink water from their tub, though a bit clumsy hahaha

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I usually give them a bottle of electrolyte mix, then half the 2nd day and then nothing the 3rd day. I offer a treat , and they will forget. I do the electrolyte mix with probiotics in it, just to pacify them and to keep them hydrated.

·
I'm watching you
22,532 Posts
4 weeks is way too young to cut their afternoon bottle. They need that milk right now and they need it spread out so that they don't get milk colic. Full sized goats mature slower much than dwarf breeds. They have a lot of growing to do, at least 10 lbs. a month at the very least.
For the one getting a little sick after his morning bottle, put a small pinch of soda in his morning milk for a bit and quit changing his routine. He's already telling you that his stomach can't handle it.

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
I agree with goathiker...they do need that milk and it sounds like they may be getting too much at once...I like to weigh them then multiply that by 16..to get their weight in oz....then multiply that by 10% to see howmuch milk they need per day..the divide that into 3-4 feedings...I never feed more than16 oz at one time...they can not digest it fast enough IMO and it can cause milk scours,or upset tummies...if they need too much milk per their weight then they need to begin hay and grain...so my rule of thumb...16 oz MAX add hay and grain

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never realised that the bottle being too big was what was causing him to act so funny, I didn't think it was that big, only 100mLs bigger than it was when he was a week old.

he also never got diarrhoea (that I saw or noticed) Though the past few days his brothers have been a bit squishy

I'll put their bottles back to the way they used to be :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we just take that middle bottle away.make surethey have plenty of othe food available. they will cry but we move that night bottle up an hour, and it's less of a problem

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
I disagree spmewhat, i have had several.kids on two bottles a day, 600ml each, from as early as a week old. I know.several.commerial dairies/large stud breeders who do this and i was skeptical at first but the kids are fine. I rarely feed.more than 1200ml a day when bottle feeding.

When i drop.a bottle i simply dont give.it to them. No substitutes, they forget about itbin a day or two.

As for weaning, as early as 8 weeks provided they are eating well, or cpntinue bottle feeding them as long as you wish. I usually cut back to one bottle by 12 weeks if i am still feeding, and might ontinue that till 5 - 6.mths if they want to and i still want to.

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I went back to 400mL feedings for Josh's sake. It breaks my heart when I see him so sad-looking in the morning, maybe it was because of too much at once, I dunno.
He seemed a bit better today but I didn't get to stick around to see how he acted but they both went back to bed anyway
I should try weigh them this afternoon, that could be fun. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts