How to deal with a picky eater

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Davi, Nov 17, 2020.

1. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I would definitely make sure she is seperated if and when that lump bursts, and disinfect everything that the pus co es in contact with. Just in case.

2. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    I’m not sure if this would work with a goat, but I’ve seen abscesses on humans that appeared to respond well to a topical application of undiluted peppermint oil. If you want to try that I’d strongly suggest doing some research first to see if anyone has used peppermint oil topically on goats and reported the results, as I have no idea how they respond to it. But I would guess that if it works well on humans it might help your goat too.

Just last week my daughter had some kind of swelling around a bad tooth, and the dentist couldn’t book an appointment for us until next month. We applied some peppermint oil directly to the swollen spot and the next day it had come up and sort of concentrated into a small bump just under the surface of the gum. We put peppermint on it again, and a day or two after that it opened up and drained, and she feels so much better now.

Of course a dentist will still have to fix the underlying problem with the tooth, but at least that infection is gone for now, and my daughter is feeling good again!

So yeah, I think if she were mine I might try that, after some research. And since it’s on her face, probably wrap it afterwards for a bit so the mint doesn’t bother her eyes.

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    That doesn't look or sound good at all. You might consider putting a call into the vet, explain your financial strain and see if maybe you can send photos and get some advice from them or maybe they would let you make payments on an appt.
    Otherwise you can try what Fiera mentioned above, or maybe some warm Espom salt compresses a couple of times a day?
    You could try getting Ichthammol at a farm store or TSC, it's a black, thick ointment, rub it over the lump. It's a drawing salve, and could possibly bring it to a head so it will burst and offer her some relief.
    So hard to say what to do over a computer and picture. I've had minor knots from shots or wounds that responded to Epsom salt warm compresses and/or ichthammol (horse farms use it a lot).

4. Feira426

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    ^^ That’s a great idea - a lot of companies are really trying to be accommodating right now, with so many people facing financial strain. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if your vet was willing to agree to some kind of a future payment plan.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  5. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Good news! We held her down and inspected her cheek, and my mom found a scab. So it looks like she got poked by something, a stick or rose thorn, and it got stuck and turned infected. So we took the scab out, drained it as best we could, then cleaned it up with iodine. We're going to keep her in for a few more days and see if it starts clearing up. The lump wasn't hot, so thats good, and the aspirin is keeping her eating well. I'll try to wash it with epsom salts a few times a day as well. We also have some drawing salve, though we'll need to find a way to keep a bandage over it as the dogs will lick it off.

I'm so relieved its (probably) something easily fixable, but we're going to keep an eye on her incase that wasnt it. For now shes sulking, but eating food. She's also discovered how the heater vents work and taking full advantage of those.

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    That's good news! Did cleaning it out get a lot of the swelling down? The epsom salt compresses would definitely be good at this point IMO. Just get you a pan of hot water (not hot where it will make her uncomfortable/burn her), pour in and stir the salts, and see if you have an old kitchen towel or something that size, fold it up, and put it in the water, then hold it on her knot, when it starts to cool off, put it back in the pan and reapply, and keep doing this for about 5-10 minutes - as long as she will allow and water stays warm. You can do that 2x a day. We had a doe years ago that we thought had tore after kidding as she developed an odd knot in front of her udder (hardest birth I've had at our place in 10 years - how she lived is beyond me but thankful she did!). Anyway, I realized it was actually an injury caused by another doe! She was using her horn and hitting her in front of the udder! Must have hit a milk gland and caused infection. But before that I was so worried we nearly considered having her put down worried it was a hernia!
    So warm compresses, and it eventually it ripened and I was able to clean it out (awful 'sour milk' smelling puss YUCK!). I did the compresses and that really helped keep it down and I really think it helped sooth it as well.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    The swelling hasnt seemed to go down much, so we're going to shave the area today so we can see it better. We're going to try and figure out if theres something inside it. She really doesn't like her face being touched so its really hard to get a good look at it without multiple people to hold her, so shaving will make things easier. Thank you all so much for all your advice and help! This forums been so helpful with all her issues. I'll keep everyone update as she recovers :D

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Shaved her cheek and dad opened the wound up some more and managed to get what we assume was the core out! So she should, with luck, start healing really well now. Put some drawing salve on top of it. Shes also been eating really well with the aspirin so shes got a nice fat belly.

11. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Good job

Davi and MadHouse like this.
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. Feira426

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Sounds like it’s going really well! Congratulations.

Davi and MadHouse like this.
  14. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Not much to update today, shes still being annoyingly picky about what she eats and it doesnt seem to be determined by how hard things are to chew, but she is eating still so we'll deal with how picky she is later. For now her wound isnt swelling back up so thats good. But I am continually reminded how awful it is that goats can't be properly litter trained XD I'd love her as a house goat forever, but diapers are expensive and dont come in adult goat size.

15. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Sadly goat diapers are and in between. If they existed Destiny and Gizmo would be allowed back in my house. Dont give up on her.

Feira426, Davi and MadHouse like this.
  16. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Moms decided to keep Corey in till she puts some actual weight on. We aren't sure how we're going to transition her outside when its colder, but we don't want to risk her getting chilled. She's happy as can be about this decision as she gets all the cuddles she wants in here. Shes eating plenty, about every hour or so, so shes progressing well.

Feira426 and MellonFriend like this.
  17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

@Davi yeah they thrive aroundvtheir human herd. Lol. It will be hard making her understand its not furever

Davi likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Shes finally got her weird little skip back in her step! Shes eating like crazy and we're really happy. Moms going to put her on a round of antibiotics now that shes no longer on deaths door, just to be sure to wipe out any nastiness left in her cheek. Its still pretty smelly and gross but its not swelling back up. We also think she might have a bit of a cold, so Im trying to remember to get a thermometer. We dont go to town often (for obvious reasons) but thats on the to do list as soon as possible. Shes a bit gurgley in her breathing again so I wanna make sure shes okay.