How to deal with a picky eater

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Davi, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Gurgly breathing sounds worrisome. The good appetite is encouraging, though - makes me think she’s at least feeling much better. You’re doing great!

toth boer goats, HMNS and MadHouse like this.
  2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

@Davi adding garlic cloves to the mix will also be helpful, if you already do you can slightly increase it. I find that some fresh vegetables like pumpkin and onions also help. They have natural antibiotics that can boost what mom is already giving.

HMNS and MadHouse like this.

3. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Oh yes shes getting lots of pumpkin! We got all our friends halloween pumpkins and cut them up for her every night, as well as garlic and apple and carrots. She gets the good stuff while shes healing :D

Im really hoping her gurgles are just due to her having caught a cold while she was chilled, but we'll see how shes doing after the antibiotics.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  4. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Corey is finally acting like a normal goat again! Shes started trying to nibble on everything and looking more alert. Still working through her cold, and being frustrated as shes still super picky, but we're hoping she'll be well enough to go back outside in the next week or two.

GoofyGoat, MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Love hearing that, good work. :)

MadHouse likes this.
  7. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Shes doing pretty good, got a lot more energy but her cough is really bothering me. It doesnt seem to be going away or getting any better. Its very wet and different then any cough she's had before, and shes very snotty, but only on one side. We didn't end up doing the antibiotic drench because it'd be a pain to do in the house since we have dogs, but I dont know if it would help or not?

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Do you have injectable antibiotics? They work better with goats- Oral ones don't because goats metabolize faster than other animals.

toth boer goats likes this.
  9. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    We do, but shes still not got a lot of weight on her, and we aren't sure if its okay to do it when theres no muscle/fat to inject into?

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Tent the skin, you give antibiotics SQ.

MadHouse likes this.
  11. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Okay! I'll let my mom know. Thank you! We're pretty new to meds that require needles.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  12. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    You can use children’s Robitussin DM for her cough and vet RX in her stuffy nose and also Benadryl for her cold. But I’d start with the robitussin and vet RX. Benadryl can cause animals to not eat since she’s having eating issues I’d wait on it.
    My goats prefer the honey flavored robitussin they will suck it right out of the syringe I use to measure it in. Lol

MadHouse, Davi and toth boer goats like this.
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good luck, I know you can do it.

MadHouse and Davi like this.
  14. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Shes had two shots now, and shes coughing less often, but harder when she does cough so I think some fluids are moving out. Her nose is also no longer running as much, and she's no longer shaking her head weirdly. She also grew a bit! Shes still really skinny but shes progressing well :D We're currently just hoping she doesn't try to eat the christmas tree once it goes up. If the cough is still there after the antibiotics, I'll definitely bring up robitussin!

[​IMG]

Oh also! Shes finally started eating more hay! So hopefully she becomes less picky!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    MadHouse likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Don’t like the hunching.

Have you taken her temp lately? Eating OK?

If the kid is 1 month old cocci can be an issue.
    Lungworms or other worm types may also be an issue.
    How old is this kid?
    Can you get a fecal for worms and cocci?

16. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    She 9 months, born early march as a premie, she was just recently treated for cocci and worms and such :D Shes usually not hunched except when shes eating because her legs grew bit but her neck hasnt caught up so shes a little wonky right now (at least thats what dad says) when shes not leaning down she doesnt usually hunch lately. She also kinda tucks her butt in when the diaper is on. I'll try to get some pictures of her in other positions and compare, cause now that you point it out the slope of her back does seem pretty odd.

Shes eating like its an olympic sport though. It almost seems constant XD I havent managed to remember to pick up a thermometer yet, but its on the list. I'd also like to get another fecal done at some point and I've been prodding my parents about that, just to ensure everything was taken care of with the round of meds. Its a bit hard to get a proper casual picture of her cause as soon as she realizes you're looking at her she tries to walk over for pets. Shes a terrible model.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh thank goodness, glad she is OK. :) :hug:

MadHouse and Davi like this.
  18. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Antibiotics are done now, and I think shes basically through all the bad stuff. Still get the odd cough but its mostly gone, and she feels heavier every day. The best part is her actually eating hay. :D Don't know how much longer she'll be inside because mom wants more weight on her before she goes back out so she'll most likely be here for christmas. Im trying to convince my mom to make her a little hat and cape but she's not biting XD Sjes outgrowing the baby diapers though, so shes gotta go into pull ups which is fun. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  20. Davi

Davi Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    I was wrong, I'm back again. We did 7 days of antibiotic, and her cough was starting to go away, but its 4 days after and now shes started coughing more again, and her nose is running, and she keeps shaking her head weirdly, like theres something wrong with her one ear. Shes still eating like crazy and gaining weight and growing, its just the cough. But we feel like the antibiotic should have wiped out anything like pneumonia or something?