How to decide to wether or not? (Nigerian Dwarf)

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by kids-n-peeps, May 13, 2010.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    This may seem like an obvious question to some, but I am really curious about how each of you determine which ND bucklings are "worthy" of staying bucks and which should be wethered.

Sure, if there is an obvious defect like an extra teat/teat spur, overbite/underbite, etc. I can see how a decision can be made quickly, but what in particular makes you give notice to a young buckling . . . and at what age do you usually make your decision?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I base it on the mom's udder structure

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    first thing i do is basic structure, if the feet/legs are perfect he gets kicked.. if the rump is wonky, they get kicked... perfect body is a must... well.. "perfect" since none are PERFECT

then its the udder on the dam. and her lactation history.

i've only ever let TWO bucks go on as bucks in the last 7 years.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    ^^^Ditto...we pick our buck kids alike!
    I always give a very good look over. Conformation and dam's udder are VERY important when deciding whether to keep a buck a buck or wether...at least for me. Conformation is number one for me, THEN mom's udder. Some people are the other way around, but I think if you don't have a structurally sound and well built buck then there's no point to keep him a buck even if mom's udder is near perfect. But if he just has some very minor faults then I might make an exception if mom's udder is top notch. I sold three or four? buck kids last year out of about 30 breedings so we're pretty picky...at least I think so. I always like to sell a buck kid that I would keep for my own breeding use to improve my herd.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    For me, dam's udder comes first then the conformation of the buckling. The kid itself needs to be long, level, dairy, good feet and legs, etc, etc. . . If his dam's udder is super nice but the buck kid is not, then he is wethered. If dam's udder is not as close to perfect as possible, he is wethered. With Nigerians, the conformation has become pretty darn good, for the most part, but the udders need some more work, so I am making sure to focus on that, in our herd.

I do not sell bucks out of FF's. They are automatically available as wethers. I *almost* broke my rule this year when a super nice buck kid was born out of a FF but decided against. His dam needs another freshening to be fully evaluated.

6. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I look at the dams udder and production and if I decide its good enough to sell a buck out of I look at the bucklings conformation - if he has bad conformation in anyway or something I am not thrilled about he becomes a wether.

7. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks for the responses - it's good to see the emphasis on breed improvement here! I have seen many websites where it appears that every male is available as an intact buckling and it certainly gave me pause.