The Goat Spot Forum banner

How to Descent a buck

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
okay, So I've been wondering when I get my buck. I've been told they are known to smell, like bad. So how do I descent them? Is it something for the vet? Thanks in advance!

#6 ·
They go into rut and pee on themselves and get stinky to get the does to go into heat and for the does to find them attractive. Depending on the breed, they only do this from about August/September to December/January.

#5 ·
Some people will hit the scent gland while dehorning, it's somewhere near the horns...but it's not a guaranteed success rate AND it doesn't take it away, just lessens it if it works. But it could be just that buck isn't that stinky anyway.

The only true way of doing that is wethering them.

#11 ·
I had the vet surgically remove the sent glands from behind the horns on my first buck... but he STUNK after that operation worse than my Boer now, so I dont think it helped any, the smell is not two bad, just strong, if you only where specific clothes with the boys during rut and leave them outside you wont stink, try finding a friend or someone with a rutting buck and visit him to see what he smells like

#12 ·
Yes, we who love our bucks find the smell quite nice ...

There are two sources for the buck smell. One is the personal smell from the smell glands in the skin. The two biggest ones are behind and a little inside the horns, you can put your finger into a hollow there and then smell on your finger, to find out what it is like. But a descenting when dehorning will only take those 2 biggest glands. The goats also have smaller scent glands in the face and on the sides.

The other source is the sperm or urine that is sprayed from under their belly when aroused. This goes away when the billy is castrated. Almost always, as has been reported on this forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.