The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I would guess Nubian colors aren't referenced the same as the other breeds because using Chamoisee, Sundgau, etc. are French words and are used on the Swiss breeds, mostly on Alpines since they are French. Nubians are not French, or Swiss so they are simply written down as what they are. I don't ever get too fancy on coloring. Brown with black points, brown with light brown spots, etc. are my ways of describing them. To be honest I don't think a judge even looks at the "color" section on the papers so if you don't mention every single spot it will never get noticed. For example, I had an Alpine doe that was registered as Cou Clair, but she was actually a Chamoisee. No one ever said anything about it.

For your doe I would just call her Brown with black points, light brown spot on left side, white on poll.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
So, would it truly matter if I used like Black and Tan or Chammy? It just seems more right to me! :lol: I felt like I was leaving stuff out when doing kids this year! LOL!

·
Yes Dear Goat Farm
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
For your doe I would just call her Brown with black points, light brown spot on left side, white on poll.
I think this is what I'm going with. Thank you all for the interesting discussion about color and the different names used by different breeds. I guess it's time for me to do more in-depth research. :question:

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,329 Posts
FYI - the common brown color in Nubians with a LIGHT belly instead of black is not chamoisee, but is correctly called bezoar. Write that and see what they say :p

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
:lol: When I first moved to Alpines from Oberhasli goats, It drove me nuts that the common Bezoar and the Blackbelly/Badgerface are BOTH called Chamoisee. Wait, it still drives me nuts...

·
Yes Dear Goat Farm
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Anybody know of a website that has representative photos of common Nubian colors and what they are called? :book:

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Anybody know of a website that has representative photos of common Nubian colors and what they are called? :book:
I have been searching for one on and off today.. Found one but only listed Chammy, Swiss and one other I think...

21 - 28 of 28 Posts