The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently having a worm problem and Valbazen is not helping. I took some samples of my two worst to the vet after work today and they came back negative. These two are very anemic. I suspected barber pole and when I asked if the barber pole was negative too they told me they don't test for it. They gave me Panacur to see if it would help. I just need to know what all I need to test it myself. What strength microscope I need and how to do this. I just need to figure out something quick. Do I need slides to view the poop or what. Please help.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
If you go to the Fiasco Farm site, she has that info.

I can't remember, have you used Ivomec?

I believe Zimectrin Gold horse wormer is a good one.

·
Registered
635 Posts
When I first learned to do my own fecals I didn't trust my own results and always had the tests done professionally, especially if sickness was an issue.
Shoot, I still don't trust my results. If I were you I'd find a lab nearby where you can send samples directly for testing. It's invariably cheaper than going through a vet.

·
I'm watching you
22,263 Posts
(rant on) How can you not test for Barber Pole? the eggs are right there on the slide, they are either there or not...If they looked at the slide, they tested for Barber Pole, sheesh. (rant off)

Your microscope should go up to x100. You need slides, slip covers, flotation solution, test tubes or other containers, fine mesh strainer, and a counting device.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone. I'm going to try to order the stuff today. Looks like the panacur is taking care of whatever they had though. I was shocked when they told me the fecal was negative.

·
376 Posts
If there is any way possible, I would suggest getting a microscope with a mechanical stage. I don't have one and I have a very hard time moving the slide in the up-over-down-over-up pattern.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you do a fecal you are check the stool for parasite eggs. When they say that the fecal was negative that means that there where no eggs found. There still may be adult parasites and they are not purchasing any eggs. if you want to try to read your own fecals you will need a microscope that has 10x and 40x power, microscope slides and covers then find a recipe for a fecal solution. You will need a small amount of stool a little bigger than a pea. Put the stool in a clean pill bottle like the ones you get from the pharmacy mix it with the fecal solution. After it is mixed really good fill it up until the solution makes a rounded top place the cover slip on it. Let it sit for about 15 mins no more them 20 no less then 10. Before 10min the eggs will not have floated to the too and after 20the eggs will sink. when tine is up place the cover slip on to the slide with the solution side down. Start on 10x power in the microscope pick a point on the cover slip and start reading it. You will need to move the slide around looking at the hole slide where the cover slip is. Really look at edges they v like v to hide there. You will need to find a picture with all the parasite eggs on it. I would talk to my vet and have him/her show me how to read a fecal. It can be difficult at times but with practice it gets easier.

·
I'm watching you
22,263 Posts
You should pulverize the poop through a fine mesh strainer into the bottle before putting in the flotation solution. Otherwise the eggs don't get released from the clump.

I would get the x100 while spending the money. It makes it easier to find Coccidia, pin worm, other tiny things.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use something called a fecal ova float kit. Here's the address to what it is, though this isn't where I got it. Can't remember if it was Valley Vet Supply, or where...
http://www.kvsupply.com/fecal-ova-float-box-of-50/&refcode=google?gclid=CM2_9rvXkboCFc4-MgodjH8AcQ
I used to do it the Fiasco Farm way, and it worked but I was alway unsure if I was getting it right or not. These little collection tubes make it SO easy. Just push the insert into the poop, put it into the vial, add float solution and twist to mix, add more to form a miniscus, cover with the cover slip for 15 to 20 mn, then carefully put on a slide. It's ready! Toss or wash the vial and insert and reuse it. If you wash and reuse, they could last you forever. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts