The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to ask this for some time. I've never had a kid (in 50+ kids) I needed to put down, but recently, I became the caretaker for a neighbor's nursing doe that was ravaged by worms & probably wouldn't make it , and she was scheduled to go out of town (I would have cancelled, but that's me).
I tended her for 3 days & gave her all the things you can give, but she was too far gone. I would have ended her life about 6 hours before she passed, if I could.have. we have no firearms and live too close to the city to use that option anyway. I know how to bleed out a small animal, but she was 75 lbs and very anemic, so I didn't think that was an option. My car engine was bad enough it wouldn't have made the 70 miles to the vet, nor would I want to drive her for hours with seizures to be out down. One goat friend said they used carbon monoxide from car exhaust for their doe. That sounds dangerous.
Are there any other at-home options that aren't dangerous to humans, quick, and don't cause a lot of noise, next time this happens?
I also have kids due this weekend, and an odd feeling that something won't be right with one of the kids, so I want to be prepared.

·
Super Moderator
14,801 Posts
I think the only option you would have is to cut their throat :/ I would not do the carbon monoxide. I agree how are you going to make just her breath it and not you. I don't know that just doesn't sound like a good way to go. Another option would be to take her to a friends house that does own a gun and they (if you are not knowledgeable with guns) put her down.

·
Administrator
85,708 Posts
Carbon monoxide is dangerous and isn't a good thing.

You can have a vet come out to your place to do the deed. They will do that. It isn't cheap though, farm call, plus the injection. But it is humane.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
You should get a .22 pistol for situations like this. I pray your upcoming births go off without a hitch. You need to use oil and bless your goats and barn. Hey, it can't hurt to have the Big Guy in your corner.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
As someone who has only put down one animal (and that was finishing off a chicken who's head was mostly off already due to a pit bull) I do not have any sage wisdom on this. But I do understand your dilemma.
My husband is the one who does the deed and he does use a pistol. The only other thing I could think of is slitting the throat. Not pleasant but does work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah we are in the same boat, we can use a gun, but I couldn't do it...Our goat keeps getting recurring Urinary calculi and we can't get him unclogged this time. So I think we need to put him out if he doesn't go first. I think ill call the vet in the morning, as there is not much else we can do.

·
Catharina
2,231 Posts
What about the local Humane Society or ASPCA? They have come out to euthanize animals in my area, when they were hit by cars & stuff. Seems like it's worth a call, Cary, as your goat is in a lot of pain. Do you have pain meds for him?

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
She can't even shoot a gun where she lives.
I don't see a location for her, where does she live? I suppose one should verify the local or state laws before disposing of any animal. Where I live, it's not an issue.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A larger calibre air rifle that is legal to own just about anywhere, might do it. I'm thinking at least a .25 though. Sellers will tell you whether or not you can purchase them.

You have to remember that it may take more than one shot and get bloody, especially if the goat is only wounded.

If I had to do it, I wouldn't want anything less than a .38/9mm pistol or a 30-30 rifle.

Using a vet is the cleanest method in your case however, you're left with a carcass full of chemicals.

Also, a deputy sheriff or city cop might come out and put her down. There's no harm in asking.

Some friends you have... leaving you to deal with this mess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts