how to dry up a doe

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by luvbug*diapers, Jul 8, 2010.

1. luvbug*diapers

luvbug*diapers New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    im guessing this has been addressed a million times here.
    i did a search and didnt find what i was looking for so i m thinking i could use some help from you all.

if you guys know what to look(search feature)under or have a link to a how to site id be so happy.

the doe is in full milk right now along with another one.
    we have way to much milk to use so i thought i could dry one up until breeding time comes around.but this time only one at a time.

i only did it once with one that was at the very end of her milking and pregnant at the time.

im concerned about mastitis from tring to dry her up when she is in high production,around a 3/4 gallon a day.

thank you for your responses to this.
    renee

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    milk once a day and don't totally empty her and decrease her grain over the next week, then milk every other day, if she'll stand to milk without grain thats even better, you can go every 2 days just to relieve pressure if she's still over full... key is to decrease amount of grain as well as not totally emptying her udder.

3. jberter

jberter New Member

Luvbug,, I know how you feel,, I have been trying to dry up one of my girls to. Liz,,Does it matter if it's in the morning or evening when you do the once a day milking??? :whatgoat:

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    If you are going to breed them both and not milk one through the winter, you could switch to milking them both once a day. It is really nice to only have to do it once.

Jan

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As long as it's a minimum of 24 hours apart, it doesn't matter if its am or pm. I currently milk 2 mini's 1x a day...at 4 in the afternoon, they still get hay and fresh water at 4:30 am but no milking or grain.