The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really freaking out.
I am planning to move from Alaska to Oregon in August, and I am having a VERY hard time trying to find answers as to how to transport my 4 girls...
I have just spent some time crying from frustration!
I am being told about 100 different tings. One of them, is that for the ENTIRE duration of the trip from the Alaska/Canada border, to the Washington/Canada border, the girls will have to remain inside the trailer. Sealed. Unable to come out... If the seal is broken, they will be euthanized at the border, and we can go to jail!?!!?!
That's like 3 days!
It wouldn't be such a big deal, if Chloe wasn't milking over a gallon and a half a day!
I don't care what I have to do, but I HAVE to bring them with me. I am NOT leaving them behind!
If they have to be sealed, then I have to find a way to dry up Chloe... Fast...
She just kidded, and if the answer I get is that she will have to be sealed, then I am going to HAVE to dry her up!
I am also looking into taking a Ferry from Valdez to Bellingham Washington, in hopes that the whole 'border-crossing' can be avoided...
I am DESPERATE to bring them down, and get them the heck out of this frozen nightmare!

Anyone know how I can dry her up in a hurry?
Someone said Sage... Maybe you can elaborate on how much to give her? How frequently?
I am only going to dry her up if I absolutely HAVE to.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Start milking once a day, then, when you can, every other day. Continue to become less frequent until you are ONLY milking her when she absolutely NEEDS it. Udder should be full but not hard. I have heard taking them on walks helps too.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
One of them, is that for the ENTIRE duration of the trip from the Alaska/Canada border, to the Washington/Canada border, the girls will have to remain inside the trailer. Sealed. Unable to come out... If the seal is broken, they will be euthanized at the border, and we can go to jail!?!!?!
That's like 3 days!

Deep breath, Abra. We will get you through this. The first thing I would do is find the number for the Ministry of Agriculture in Canada, call and verify the information. I don't know if that is the correct department, but they should be able to put you in touch with the right one. 2nd thing is that you now have an idea of what to expect, so plan ahead. Make sure there is room for your girls to move around. Make sure you have extra hay, make sure you have a way to water them. You can slip a hose through air vents/slats at the top. Figure out where to put hay that you can untie a tarp/canvas/etc, let it drop, and let the girls eat en route.

If they have to be sealed, then I have to find a way to dry up Chloe... Fast...
She just kidded, and if the answer I get is that she will have to be sealed, then I am going to HAVE to dry her up!

I saw something on these forums earlier today about fresh sage drying up a doe quickly. I think Goathiker posted it, but I'm not sure. PM him/her and ask.
You've got to calm down, or you won't be any good to yourself OR your girls! It's only May, we will get this figured out with you, ok?

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You've got to calm down, or you won't be any good to yourself OR your girls! It's only May, we will get this figured out with you, ok?
Thank you!
I needed that.
I am just SO stressed out, so very, VERY scared that I won't be able to bring them with me...
Terrified really...
Hubby was thinking $2k to drive down, when I just announced it was going to probably be more than double that, because we were taking the ferry!
I told Hubby if they are not going, then neither am I....!!!
I WILL NOT LEAVE MY BABIES.!!!!!!!!!!!
**** doing breathing exercises ****

Ok.... All calm now...
But.... I will not leave my babies :)

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
PS: Money is money. But no other goat can replace MY babies....

I am getting SICK of people around here who keep telling me: "They're just GOATS!"
My response?
BITE ME.!!!
They are MY babies, and there is NO WAY that I am leaving this goat-forsaken crab-hole without them.!!!!

I couldn't live with myself!

I would be warm and toasty in October, and they would be trying to NOT freeze their teats off?
REALLY..????
NO WAY!
Who would bring them warm molasses water when it was below freezing?
Who would take their temps and (HAPPILY) use their OWN $200+ goose-down jacket to put on them to keep them warm???
Who would keep them in the garage when it was 'scary' outside..??? (New years? Fireworks?)
Who would massage their udders with baby oil after EACH and every single milking?
Who would give them their apple, pear, banana, carrot, celery, cucumber, cauliflower and broccoli pieces every day?
No way!
I am getting them out of here!!!
They deserve it!
They never asked to be brought to a frozen waste-land! :(

·
11,090 Posts
PS: Money is money. But no other goat can replace MY babies....

I am getting SICK of people around here who keep telling me: "They're just GOATS!"
My response?
BITE ME.!!!
Yeah, that's been my response to those kind of remarks too. :laugh:

·
Registered
31,018 Posts
before I panic I would really research and get my facts on the boarder issue..you may only need a health certificate to pass the boarder...call each state you need to cross and ask...( a pain , yes but answers need to be given) make sure you have plenty of eveything you need..meds, feed and hay to change them over to Oregon goodies..

to dry her up...decrease her grain...dont milk her out fully..just enough to keep her comfy...the less you milk the less she will make...then go to once a day, then every other day until whenyou go to milk she is loose..check often and only milk a bit if she gets too tight....if you planon the move in August you have time to slowly dry her in a way she will stay comfy...

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
they're not just GOATS! they're your family!!! I think everyone here will agree with you on that.

ok, but I think you'll need to calm down a bit, and breathe! DEEEEP breathes, exhales longer than inhales! and know that you have over two months to figure this thing out...that's plenty of time for all of us to help you figure this out!

have you contacted the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, they're kind of like the FDA. Here's the link for importing of animals, BUT you should call and ask about animals in transit through Canada. there are contacts for area and regional offices, I would call the ones in BC if I were you.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals...nimals/2007-5/eng/1321032703935/1321032839418

hopefully someone can help with how to use sage to dry your doe up.

again, we're here for you! so just calm down and remember to breathe!!!

·
11,090 Posts
My vet tells me that each state has different health requirements. You will need a vet that will cover the health requirements of every state the goat will pass. That should save you from any problems.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So we are going to go with the Marine Highway. We are in Wasilla, and we are going to drive down to Whittier, and then go straight to Bellingham. I talked with a rep from the Ferry company, and they said that they have cargo checks every 4-6 hours, so I should be able to check on the girls all thru the trip. Which is NICE. If I was to drive, and they needed to be sealed, they would never be able to even come out, for 3 days, and all the trouble just doesnt seem worth it.
If we take the ferry, I would be able to keep my darling girl in milk, and be able to milk her regularly, and check on them, and be able to take them out every few hours to stretch their legs.
I found out the cost will be about $5k, maybe 6k for everything. So I HAVE to sell my house, FAST!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts