The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm newer to goats so im just not sure. Do you dry up goats the same way you do cows? Dry tubes? I want to dry her up before Christmas so I need to figure out how to do it. She will be dry almost 4 months before kidding....is that okay? Will she get overly Fat if she isn't milking? She's on the thin side now and it's super darn cold out here the past 2 weeks so I don't think I need to be concerned about putting on too much weight in this cold of weather do I ?? Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I guess I meant is that TOO long for her to be dry. I know animals tend to get fat if they are dry too long.
I didn't know if that is okay to just stop milking her. I would worry about mastitis also. She's giving about a quart jar full every day on once a day milking.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Ok. Too long? I dunno the answer to that one. Giving a quart a day on 1x daily milking...what kind is she? If she's full size, then just quitting shouldn't be a problem. None of mine have ever gotten fat because we quit milking...they get fat cause we feed them too much! LOL Just pay attention to her condition and adjust feed accordingly...if you can.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
My doe is self drying up right now. We are down to 2-4 cups per day, milking once a day. Apparently her body, and her babies, need the calories. She is almost 2.5 months out from being bred.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
With her breed and the amount she's giving, it should not be a problem to dry her off.
Just decrease her grain and increase her hay for a week, watch her udder for sign of being overly tight which may or may not happen given the amount she is giving.
Once my does are 2-3 weeks into not being milked at all, I will strip out their udders until totally empty, use a teat dip and then just leave them be. Most will likely don't do this but I find it gross to leave old milk in udders.

·
379 Posts
I am drying my Does up right now too. My plan is to milk only in the morning and not take all. Liz, I never thought about old milk being left in the udder............... I thought their body would absorb it?? Then they will make colostrum for their kids when they are born.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Give her some fresh Sage. I got mine at the grocery store in the produce department. Feed it a couple times a day and she will be dried up in a couple days.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Technically, they will absorb what's left but I like to see totally empty udders on my girls, that and what I empty from them is very thick and sticky, all the liquid had been reabsorbed leaving the thick stuff behind.

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
What if your getting two liters a day once daily milking from a LaMancha ?
She has come down from giving me more then that to just the two liters. Since I have puppies yet , we haven't thought of drying her up , but I would like to start since I don't have a covered shelter for milking yet and have to drag the milking stand into the stall and its so much more than that , transferring does everywhere just to do that , lolol.
My dog will be sad about this though , lol.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Laura... at that amount once a day, I'd say that you have a heck of a girl :)

Depends on how long she's been fresh, if it's just been a few months you may have a difficult time in drying her off, if it's been at least 6 months or longer, decreasing her grain and milking every other day for a week should tell her to stop, stop totally, no grain and just watch her udder for sign of super tightness after that.

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
Im so embarrassed to say I have been milking her since she had her doeling Hallie in July She loves it , jumps up on the stand so happy and all , paws at it till I milk her . We have our schedule and bonding time and we both love it , lol. So , I hate to stop and hurt her feelings.
I swear Im letting her run my life , lolol. And it looks so painful when they are tight I would hate to hurt her that way. I could just see myself if I was to show her , lolol. I may never get to that point just because of not wanting her to hurt :) Ughhhh.
Anyways , i am going to try to dry her up. I don't know if milking her this long is going to hurt her in any way either.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Laura... she's a dairy doe, she's expected to be in milk for 10 months.... going longer with out an added breeding and no significant drop in production is an added bonus :)

If you mean that she freshened this past July, drying her off this early will affect how her future freshenings will be in terms of longevity of production.

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
When I was milking her twice daily she was giving me twice that amount , two + litters each milking. Now since I have cut down her grain since the baby left , a while back that was , she gives me two liters once daily. I need to make something else with this milk other then keeping the dogs and cats happy , lolol.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Mine will be at ten months since freshening at some point in the month. Right about how long they like to see a lactation last. My girl was giving about what yours was at the same point in lactation, being milked twice a day. Some does can keep on keeping on into the next year, provided they aren't pregnant and are well fed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.