how to ease dog relationships

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goatshows, Dec 23, 2007.

1. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    one of our dogs is on a doggie vaction and the other one is heart broken. they are mother and son. do you have any suggestions on how to calm the son down when his mamma is away? he's looking for her and crying.

2. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    all I can think of is to spend more time with him yourself. Let him stay with you and give him extra attention and treats. Good luck

3. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    My little experience says never reward undesirable behavior. The temptation, when a dog whines or otherwise acts up is to hug and coddle them, in hope that they will be comforted. Truth is, more often than not, it just shows them that whining is a behavior that brings treats and hugs. Try to resist what all of us are tempted to do and react to that behavior with activity, companionship or, best of all, putting him to work. Dogs love to work, love to feel involved and love to please. Give them an opportunity to do those things and you'll go a long way towards creating a strong positive personality in that dog, devoid of whining and neediness. Actually, it's a philosophy that works pretty well when trying to raise children too.

4. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    BRAVO, Creasuresall!!! Excellent advice! :hi5:

5. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    How long is mom on vacation? I agree not to coddle, although it is soooo difficult. Reward the strong behavior. I taught my dog a trick while her sister was gone for a short time because she got so upset. She did great.

6. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Great idea Julie!

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    my dogs were never cuddled when they were whining or "pitching" a fit.

I just made sure that when they did something good - they received extra rewards. It seemed to discourage what they were doing because they want to do the right thing for the praise and treats.

8. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    I agree, ignore the whining, and try to enforce 'quiet' and 'calmness'.

Yes, spend lots of time with the dog, because he is lonely, especially because his pack member is gone; right now, you are his main pack member, so you need to take the place of his mom. Take him out and keep him busy, reward him for good behavior, and ignore unwanted behavior, like pacing, and whining. The more active you can keep the dog, the more tired he will be...a tired dog is a good dog! :wink:

9. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    How is he doing???