The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two nigis are pains in the butts. They are both really stubborn, especially on the milking stand, they also refuse to go it their shed unless I bribe them with food. And they are terrible about jumping on me. I am stumped on what to do. I have tried yelling no and was told that if you smack their ears they will stop. Tried it once and my whether reared up and tried to fight with me. Lets just say I felt horrible after I did it and will never do that again. Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Well, at least their Nigerians:) I can't really give advice, since I'm in the same boat with my oberhasli wethers, kinder does, my doeling and my ober buck and kinder buck... I have taken a long stick and made contact with their heads and pushed them down, saying down as I do it. That way no hitting really... They will immediately go down as long as I have the stick with me now, but no stick nope they could care less. My milking girls were a pain for the first month or so, but now..., they are my little kinder milking queens:) Much time and patience is needed there... All my goats are stubborn...... Hopefully someone that has training experience will chime in here..

·
Registered
450 Posts
water bottle/water pistol ... at least for the jumping up. I have successfully taught all my ND's not to jump on me using one. It only takes a few times of having their faces drenched to stop. Started with the bottle but was afraid they would just associate the bottle so for about a week we carried a water pistol in our pockets and they all learned that jumping up meant wet face :) I have also used it to teach them not to climb / stand on the gate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts