How to get a goat ready for a show?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Fainters, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    I would like to start showing my fainters and would like tips on the best way to get them ready. Right now they have their fuzzy winter coats on and I need to know if there is something that I could be feeding them to make them shed off quicker or do I just need to keep brushing them everyday? It is way too cold to clip them right now. I am currently feeding a 12% protein alfa-oat pellet with 4% fat. Do they need more protein and fat?

http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    BOSS should help them shed and slick off. I dont show my myos but I go to the fairs and help kids with their animals. I have a doe that had cashmere and she has already slicked off. I have a buck that is losing his chasmere now and it looks horrible. Most of my goats are shedding now due to our warm weather.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, when is the show? I do not know about fainter's, but most all the goats shed their hair before show season, unless it is a dairy goat and they shear them. All my cashmere have lost their Cashmere but two, but I am the only one around that their goats have shedded out, at out meeting the other day we are the only ones that have all our animals combed out.

4. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    There are a few people at the Fainter shows that shave their goats but most don't. I trim mine. I put a guard on my clippers and clip them to where they still have between 1-2 in. or hair left. I just like to clean them up a bit. I also trim around their tails and feet and any other stray hairs.
    You can also start practicing leading them but the Fainter shows are pretty patient since after all they are Fainters and need more time.

Do you plan on going to the Lebanon, TN show or the Lebanon, KY show?
    We plan on going to the TN one and still debating on the KY one. We will have goats for sale at the the TN one.

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Are shows a good place to sell goats? I've been to a couple of shows, but everyone looks too busy to talk about selling goats. Good luck.

6. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    NEVER to busy to find one of your babies a good new home. It is a busy time but ALL fainter breeders LOVE to talk about their goats and show them off. Most people do have some for sale at the shows. We have sold a few at the shows and will have some for sale this time around as well. The fainter community is great. Everyone enjoys sharing stories and looking at each others goats. I havent seen the cut throat competitive thing in the fainter shows, YET. It more like a big camp out and everyone just brought a goat with them. They are really fun and you meet so many nice people.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I agree, glad that isn't the case with you all1965

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have to say that ALL goat people at shows love to talk about their goats. The only time we can NOT talk about the goats is when of course we are in the ring.
    I think if you have a question and want to talk, BELIEVE me people will talk. I sell some at show, most people are just wanting to get more information also they can see what they want to do. I have found out if I give my business card out, I sell a lot of my fiber to people from shows and they contact me later about goats. Matter of fact I have sold 5 of this years babies and a Older doe and wether to two different people that I met almost a year ago at shows.

9. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    All1965 I am hoping to go to the Lebanon TN show March 28-29th. That is about 2 hours from me. I am afraid that my goats won't have all their winter hair shed in 2 weeks. I've been brushing them daily but it seems to me that last year they didn't get slick until April and May.

I have several that I would like to sell and wondered too if it was a good place to find buyers. Of course I will probably end up bringing even more home with me. :lol:

http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would think that they are all going to have it unless they shear them.

If you go, GOOD LUCK. Hope you do well.

11. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    some people will have their goats slick as snot (pardon the phrase) and others will be so wooly you wont be able to see the goat. The judges usually just want to see the muscling of the goat. Ours will be brushed and trimmed (not shaved) but will be unbathed. I dont like to risk them getting too cold in this unpredicable weather. We will be in Lebanon, TN. We will be comining in on Friday afternoon. Hope to see you there.