The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, some of you already know that our goats were diagnosed with cocci. yesterday.
So the problem is that my two Nigerians (always the stubborn ones) will NOT drink the water with the corid in it. I know someone said I could drench them with the med., but I don't have a drenching gun and I wanted to try doing it the way the vet said.
I figure eventually they'll HAVE to drink if they get thirsty enough, but I'm worried about them, becaude I put out the medicated water around 1 o clock yesterday, and it's really hot and windy today, and they still have not touched it from what I can tell.
These two did not care for molasses when I attempted to give them some a couple of times this week, so I'm reluctant to put it in the water, as I think it will turn them off even more. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I managed to give it to them with a large syringe. ::p: I thought they would need a bigger dose I guess, so I didn't think we had a big enough one, but we did. I'll just keep giving it to them that way.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
When our horse would get colic we would use one of those turkey things, i cant think of the name, but really you could use anything, a snot sucker, syringe ect. Even if its not very long, I find it helps that if you hold their head up, put your thumb between the front teeth and back teeth (that no teeth spot lol) that way they cant close their mouth and get it out. Now I did have a cocci issue with my kids but I had about 30 that needed it, they catch on fast about being drenched lol. Any ways I made it so that that was the only thing they had to drink. I kept the does water down so they could not reach. Not the best way to go about it, if I only had a few I would make sure they got the right dose by drenching.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I don't use CoRid but do use Di Methox or Sulmet and I NEVER mass treat .... each one that needs dosed gets it individually. When mass dosing you just will never know if the infected animal is getting the med amount needed to treat them.
I dose from the bottle, no diluting with water... 1cc per 5lbs on day 1 then 1cc per 10 lbs days 2-5.... this is with the DiMethox or the Sulmet

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you think I should drench all of them? I only did the two Nigerians this afternoon, because I was the most worried about them; pretty sure they had it the worst. I didn't want to waste what was already in their water troughs.Sorry, I should've explained this. We have three different pens right now like this:
3 Alpine does (milkers) in one pen, 20 gal. trough
4 alpine cross doelings in another pen, 10 gal. trough
2 NDs in third pen, 5 gal. trough
So I didn't want to waste all the water in the other troughs that was already medicated. (And the others were drinking)
We went ahead and poured out the med. water and gave regular water for the NDs, because it wasn't that much, and I was worried they were getting dehydrated.
So if I did start drenching tomorrow, could I just pretend the others drank enough the first day, and continue with drenching for the next four days?
Thanks

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Couldn't hurt to drench them all.
Are you drenching at the correct consentration? The mix of 3oz corid per 16z water? 5cc drench per 25lbs?

Even if they did drink from it, it wouldn't have been enough to do them good. Drench them all for the 5 day treatment.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Any ideas?
+

Yeah, lose the Corid and get some Albon, Baycox, or Sulmet. Then scour your town for a drenching gun or whatever it takes to treat them and KNOW how much you're giving them. If you can't find a drenching gun get on Jeffers or Valley Vet and order one next day delivery. Corid ties up thiamin and can cause goat polio, and it's impossible to treat something unless you know how much you are giving them and how often you are giving it.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couldn't hurt to drench them all.
Are you drenching at the correct consentration? The mix of 3oz corid per 16z water? 5cc drench per 25lbs?

Even if they did drink from it, it wouldn't have been enough to do them good. Drench them all for the 5 day treatment.
Well, I found a dosage chart online and followed it, cause I was in a hurry to get it in them. My doe is around 51 pounds, and the dose for 52 pounds was 13 ccs, so that sounds pretty close to what you said. Question? Before I freak out? If you give too much, will it hurt them?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I havent had a problem with giving too much. I have given my 200lb does a 400lb dose before, but only for 2 day, after that I went down to the normal dose.
Some people say it messes with the thiamin, but I have never had that problem

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I havent had a problem with giving too much. I have given my 200lb does a 400lb dose before, but only for 2 day, after that I went down to the normal dose.
Some people say it messes with the thiamin, but I have never had that problem
Oh, thank you for that! I was totally freaking out because when I gave them their dose yesterday- please don't hate me- I forgot to DILUTE it!!! :eek::eek: I didn't know until this morning. I was researching about corid, and when I realized that I gave them too much, I felt sick. I ran out to make sure they weren't dead, and they were acting fine, so I felt a little better, but was still worried, so I quickly squirted some molasses down their throats (I think they're beginning to like it), then went back and practically dragged my dad out of his room to give them thiamine shots. (He's not a morning person and hates giving the animals shots) :rolleyes:
They are still acting fine, so my question now is: if I overdosed yesterday, should I give them the proper amount today?
Btw I spent most of the morning drenching the rest of the goats with the proper amount of medication, for those of you who advised me to drench.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How long do you think it would take for their eyelids to start getting pinker? I've been checking every day, but they aren't a lot pinker yet. It's been about three days.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I noticed that after I started giving the corid for a day or two, their droppings were a lot darker than before, like almost black. I assume this means it's working?

·
Registered
76 Posts
:confused:One of my 3 loves molasses. Another can take it or leave it. Gator, who is my new mommy and who has the lump that might be CL, likes it but isn't a great drinker. I put it and colloidal silver into lukewarm water in a pop bottle. Shake it up good so that the molasses is mixed well, then I open the side of her mouth with one hand while inserting the uncapped pop bottle top into the other side. I tip her head back a bit and pour some in, then close her mouth, holding her jaws tight, massaging her throat so she swallows. (Make sure she's not choking.) She drinks it if I go slowly... I don't even have to tie her to hold her... she just seems to know that, when I lean on her and put my hand in her mouth (keeping my fingers to THE FRONT of her mouth :D) it's time to drink that not-so-bad stuff.

Her Twin sister (named "Twin") seems to want to chomp on my fingers when I give her her "drink." :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts