How to get goat to eat supplement

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by E Roberts, May 27, 2019.

1. E Roberts

E Roberts New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    sweetwater texas
    So show season is coming up in Texas and i've got my wether and hes doing well, learning to walk and brace but, i recently got the purina high octane champion drive topdress. Smell awful, i'm not sure if i would recommend cause i've never used this supplement before, but my wether doesn't like it at all and when i put it in his feed he doesn't even eat his feed. does anyone have any ideas on how to get him to start eating it??? please really need help he has to gain 23 pounds to make weight. if u have any ideas please reply, thanks-emily may 27, 2019

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I sneak anything and everything into applesauce. With some slippery elm too, covers up strong smells.

3. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

What about calf manna? That is good for puttin on weight.

4. E Roberts

E Roberts New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    sweetwater texas
    thanks i might try that

5. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

The show world simply befuddles me. I never have anything helpful to say. But @HoosierShadow can usually help?

Madgoat likes this.
  6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I pm'd you back Emily! But wanted to add here as well.

I've not used the Champion drive topdress, I'll ask a friend if they've used that one and any issues. Not sure how it should smell or what the texture is.
    The only Purina supplement we've used is Power Fuel, and that has helped get some gain on some of our goats. We normally don't topdress.

In the pm I sent, I stated that what we've done when we've introduced the Power Fuel or calf manna is to make sure they are hungry, nothing else to they can eat on - grain or hay. We put some of the supplement down and let them pick at it or get hungry enough to consider trying it.
    I want to say we give them about an hour, then we'd offer grain. Now, we have breeding goats so we offer hay at this point as well.
    Usually after a few days they will start to eat it. Supplements like Power Fuel I topdress, I don't mix it into their feed. I pour the feed and put the supplement on top. In fact, the bucks love their Power Fuel and will dig through the feed to get it. They will also stand there and stare at me impatiently after I pour the feed - waiting for the supplement. They want it first.

If that doesn't work I am really not sure, because that's always worked for us. I've not tried things like applesauce, But I suggest if you try something like that, make sure they like it first or you'll just waste the supplement ($$).

I wish I could help more but again never used that particular supplement, so I am not sure about smell or even the texture. I have some friends that I believe use or have used it so I will ask and get their opinions.

mariarose likes this.
  7. mariarose

What a wonderful word picture you've given us! "We aren't falling for that again, Mom"

8. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    We use this trick for Copper bolus, but it might work for your top dress. Prepping... I feed my goats "snacks" when we have them like cucumber peel, apple cores etc. Part of these snacks are banana peel I cut into bite sized chunks. So they are now used to banana taste and love it. If you've never given them banana, they will most likely not want to eat it at first until they figure out it is good.

When needing to give them something like copper bolus, take a chunk of banana, scoop out the center, pour in the bolus (or your supplement) and then put a tiny bit of the scooped out center on top to seal it in. Works most of the time.

9. Sallie Mayer

Sallie Mayer Member

May 15, 2019
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I am new at this and have to give my ND goat a copper bolus that is in a capsule. Can I stick the whole capsule in a chunk of banana?

10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sure

Sallie Mayer likes this.
  11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    The boys are rotten! But I adore them. They are getting very little supplement at all, and they are not happy about that.
    I took these a few weeks ago. Grain poured and they just stood there giving me 'that' look waiting..lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. E Roberts

E Roberts New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    sweetwater texas
    It's dry, little, light colored pellets and it smells "expensive".

13. Sallie Mayer

Sallie Mayer Member

May 15, 2019
    Pendleton, Indiana
    She loves bananna! She took her calcium bolus with ease! What a relief for this new goat mom! Thanks!

14. mariarose

Calcium? Or Copper?

15. Sallie Mayer

Sallie Mayer Member

May 15, 2019
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Woooops! I meant to say copper

mariarose likes this.
  16. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Any luck getting the wether to eat his supplement yet?
    I've been introducing some kelp we were given to some of our herd, and it's been mixed reviews by them.

However, the bucks still make me laugh about their love for the power fuel supplement. I am afraid what will happen when we don't give it anymore!
    I got a video of them waiting for it this evening.... They are a silly pair for sure. They are good boys, they were unsure about that flash on my phone though!

They will eat the grain after they get the 'icing on the cake' lol.

17. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Wow, mine will dig in no matter what is in the feeder.

18. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    All of our other goats will dig in, but these guys are spoiled rotten brats lol. When I first introduced supplements, they were like nope... not happening. So I just put it on top vs. mixing it in. Funny how their opinion changed! They get a little bit of Power Fuel, but also get a tiny bit of Gro n'Glo (feed store version of Calf Manna - also costs 1/2 as much!). The Gro n'Glo has really made for shiny coats. I started the yearlings and babies on it a couple of weeks ago and I am impressed with how shiny their coats have become!

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  19. E Roberts

E Roberts New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    sweetwater texas
    he still doesn't like it, he's barely liking his feed. I'm not sure if he'll ever like the supplement. did u ever get any tips from your friend about the supplement?

20. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Kelp is eaten more by the goats who need it. You should take the fact that some don’t like it as a good thing.