The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so my girls and boy just won't eat enough feed...

The boer girls eat 1 pound a day, (calf manna, 16% sweet feed (all around stock pellets, it what they are called), alfalfa pellets).. these two eat together
buck (7 months) eats 1 pound each a day sweet feed, calf mana, and alfalfa pellets -- eats alone

The alpine (yearling) eats 1 pound a day
The mutt (dairy and meat mix) eats 1 pound a day calf mana sweet feed and alfalfa-- these two eat together

Every one gets more calf mana, then sweet feed and more sweet feed then alfalfa pellets.

I feed them in the evening.. I would love to get every one up to 2 pounds a day, how do I do this, they have been eating the same for several weeks and haven't wanted any more.

Access to hay and pasture.

Suggestions please:)

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will feeding them morning and night make them want to eat more ?

I am posting pictures of them but the Boer's are under weight. And I feel the Apline is too

·
Registered
2,204 Posts

I am posting pictures of them but the Boer's are under weight. And I feel the Apline is too
yes it will or just let them "free feed" threw out the day
don't separate them to eat. lets say you want them to eat 4lbs a day together and put 4lbs a day out there and let them eat it threw out the day.
it may or may not work in your set up. not sure.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't really do that since I also have two full grown Nubains (who eat 2 pounds a piece a day) I believe they will eat it..

Plus come feeding time my Boers would get butted out and wouldn't be able to eat.. the "mutt" is very rude when it comes to food.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It should. Generally speaking, animals will eat more when fed more often. You won't know until you try it, though. A word of caution, though, don't just double the amount all at once. They need to be built up gradually. I'm sure you already know that, but figured it was worth mentioning just in case.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much should the yearling Alpine weigh ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
In looking t the pictures your babies look pretty good. If anything maybe a little more weight could be called for but over all they look good. Make sure you are current on their de-worming and CD&T. You can increase their pellets and calf manna by a little bit and feed twice a day. Like someone else mentioned, don't increase their feed by a lot but do so over a period of time. Make sure their hay is of a good quality as well.

I feed a good alfalfa hay and loose minerals. The only feed (BOSS, beet pulp and showmaker grain) are only given when the girls are on the stand for milking, oh, and they are out to pasture during the day.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are in the middle of a worming session, again on the 19th and ten days after then in 30.
They are not up to date on CD&T I read on it when I first got them and read that it wasn't a have to have. Was that right? I know not to up it all at once. Their hay is alfalfa and grass mix. They have loose minerals also.

·
Registered
132 Posts
How much calf manna are you feeding per head per day? I've had some that don't seem to like it although most do love it and pick through to eat it first. It is supposed to be used as a supplement giving 1/4 to 1/2 lb a day, not as the main feed. Do the does eat all feeds equally or do they pick though for a certain one?

When you get a goat that is thin and not used to eating it takes time to get the rumen and their appetite going. They aren't used to it and would probably do more harm than good if they suddenly started eating 2 lbs of grain a day. Just keep fresh grain in front of them switching it out twice daily and giving the extra they dont eat(as long as it's clean) to a goat on the farm that is less picky. I had to this when I took on a couple different project goats over the last couple years. Here is a thread to one of them, he took a lot of patience trying to bring him back.
http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f185/should-i-take-chance-save-buck-142850/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts