The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea how he got it, it must have hidden from me under his bangs, but my buckling Max has an enourmous tick ... this thing is monstrous, I have never in my life seen one this size. Disgusting and I'm concerned for him. I want to get it to let go without pulling it from his head! Any tips? :confused:

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have no idea how he got it, it must have hidden from me under his bangs, but my buckling Max has an enourmous tick ... this thing is monstrous, I have never in my life seen one this size. Disgusting and I'm concerned for him. I want to get it to let go without pulling it from his head! Any tips? :confused:
I think rubbing alcohol will make them drop off. Gasoline too. I don't know for sure though because I've always just pulled them off.. Haha.

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm also concerned about it being on his head, should I just pull it off and stop the blood? This morning I thought he had knocked of his disbudding cap because he had some blood down his face. Upon closer inspection (went out to apply blood stop) I found the monster.

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
I always just use a pair of tweezers or hemostats (love 'em, very useful tool!), grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible, and give a gentle, steady pull. I haven't yet lost a head under the skin. Being gentle is the key, methinks.

I heard you can glob some petroleum jelly (Vaseline, bag balm, etc.) on them so they start to suffocate and have to let go. But that never worked when I tried it.

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled it off. :laugh: I always make these things bigger than they need to be. I held, dad pulled. Poor little guy. Dabbed some blue kote and plantain on there afterwards. The plantain is soothing and will help draw out toxins.

·
8,071 Posts
According to my friends in the tick capital of the Eastern half of the USA- (KY) they said to get as close to the
skin where the tick is attached and turn the tick counter-clockwise. It will get the head and all the
mouth parts out. Sounds silly, but it works! I had one on my ankle- counter clockwise and it all came out!
Then antibiotic ointment and all was well! (the one I yanked out a month before, became infected, leg swelled up, etc.)

·
Registered
361 Posts
For next time, get a "tick key". Amazon has them, or you can probably get them at a local pet store. They are fantastic for removing embedded ticks.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
We have a lot of ticks here and when I find them on an animal I get my tweezers and get close to the skin and squeeze the tweezers and gently pull it out. I haven't lost a head yet. Like was said above slow and gently is the key.

·
1,524 Posts
I pull them off and then step on them. I love the satisifying feel of them popping under my foot.

My boss is a registered Maine Guide with tons of experience with ticks. He uses to thick ointment to cover them so they pop themselves out from under the skin.

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We do get ticks around here so I'm used to pulling them, I just had never seen one that big and it unnerved me. :p

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I don't mind pulling a tick but when it's that sized & STILL ALIVE, I freak. That thing was crawling on my floor cause diesel (the great pyr) was inside.
I wasn't happy. Lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts