How to give injections?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tog Lovers, May 5, 2008.

1. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    One of our does loves rubbing her neck on the side of the stall. Well she got a splinter and it was sticking out so it was easy to pull. But there must be a piece left in there because it keeps festering. We have sqeezed it out several times but haven't found any more wood. It's also right at the top of her wattle so it isn't the easiest place to squeeze. I'm thinking that because it left a decent size scratch that it may just have gotten dirty and infected. I have LA-200 but have never had to use it. I think it may help to give her a shot to help with the infection. How do I do this? Where on her do I give it? How much should I give? And how long?

Thank you for any advice or suggestions you may have.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As far as the splinter festering, I really wouldn't start her on antibiotics if she is fine otherwise, the way they cause upset in the rumen it would be better to "lance" it to make the hole bigger and flush it with peroxide or gentled iodine until the lump goes away, 2-3 days of flushing is better for her system as opposed to a broad spectrum antibiotic that would be in her entire system un neccessarily. If she happens to get a fever and acts lethargic because of this, then I would go with the injection...dose is 1cc for 40# 1x aday for 3 days in the muscle.

3. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    la200 is more for lung infections
    you need pen g
    would depend on size/age of goat
    there are 3 types of shots
    (that i know of)
    IV is given in the vein and i suggest a vet for that one but that's just me
    SQ is given under the skin - just pull up a bit of skin anywhere that is easy so it makes a little 'tent' and stick the needle in and put the medicine in the 'tent' - this is the easiest shot in my opinion
    IM is given in the muscle - this is an easy shot too sorta - but i watched my BIL give a shot to a cow and he goofed up and hit a nerve or something and that cow was never right again so this shot makes me nervous as all get out - but you feel around for the biggest muscled area - usually the hind quarter or right by the withers
    Pen G needs to be given IM
    i hope that helps and i hope someone more "in the know" can give better/more information

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    PenG is the chosen one for "external" infections most times...it is in the muscle at ( I dose minis with 3cc 1x a day for 5 days) so I would imagine that your doe would be considerably heavier than my 50-65- pound mini's. In the back of the "thigh" area is where I usually hit them for IM.

5. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Thanks for the replies. I just went out to check on her again and she won't let me near her. The poor girl has been clipped, and tatooed as well as having this infection messed with all in the last two days. I'm going to wait for DH to get home and try to lance it and flush it. He has those girls so spoiled they do anything for him. I think it's time he is the meany. LOL!!

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I just want to mention that Penicillin should never be given IV because it will cause death. There are certain types of penicillin that can be given IV, but Pen G cannot.

7. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    I called the vet this morning and he is coming out. I have drained the abcess several times, flushed it with peroxide and even squeezed some LA-200 into it and it just keeps coming back. I was shocked that every time I got all the puss out it was full again within a couple of hours. I'm wondering if this is more of a bite with an allergic reaction. The spiders have been bad here lately. I hate not knowing what is wrong because I can't treat it effectively.