The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of different threads about different ways to give meds but i have no idea what they mean or how and where to give it? The only one ive ever seen done is on the thigh part. I was told they put the needle in, draw a little out, if there is blood take it out and do it again. Then my little buck got a shot at the breeders before we took him home, and it was under his armpit and had a little knot but said they could give it on the neck too. Do yall know kind of vaccine it could have been?

I've never done one by myself so i have no idea what im talking about lol. I just dont want to be in the position where i have to do it myself and not know how. :) I've been making learning threads like this for the past 2 weeks haha, sorry for all the questions but maybe after a few more threads like this and a little research ill at least know the basics. :) thank you.

·
Super Moderator
58,860 Posts
What about offering to help the breeder you bought your goats from? She can teach you how to give shots and you can help her with her herd.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I'm going to guess the one in the armpit was CD&T. That's where a lot of people give it, since the area has loose skin and they give it subcutaneous(SQ or Sub Q) which is under the skin, not in the muscle. You give it by pulling up skin to form a "tent" stick in the needle into the end of the tent, let go of the skin, pull back the plunger to make sure you're not in a vein, then shoot in the vaccine and pull out the needle. A lot simpler than it sounds :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
It is a lot easier than it sounds. :) if you like, you can search for the thread I started a while ago about how to give shots. I can't make a link right now, but it's called "I've never given shots before" should come up, lots of good advice on there. :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Try asking someone you know who has goats show you how to give shots. Once you see it you'll know better how to do it. it's pretty simple :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you :)

Ill look that thread up

The breeder is about 40 min away and i can't drive till next year haha, but i have her email i think so im going to email her and ask about some stuff i didnt really think about that. :)

And i had no idea what sq (is that even right? Ill have to look again) meant glad to no its just a fancy word for under skin lol.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks :) .... Guys i just made the discovery of Jeffers lol i could look at that site all day i heard it has alot of goat stuff but i had no idea! :p

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Well, probably in the armpit would be easiest; at least, that's how I've done it, and it's pretty easy. You may want to swab the area with alchohol first, to prevent germs from getting under the skin. I didn't a few times, and they got injection site cysts. (ouch for them, and not pretty)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
As for the back leg, you dont want to give it on the side as there is a nerve there that if hit, you will cripple the goat for good. If you look at Byccombe's avatar pic, under the tail, were the black hair is on the back of the leg is where you want to do it. There is only muscle on the back side of it and no worries of hitting a nerve.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Haha, I should just shut up! Lol
I meant to say: did you mean there is no muscle in the back of the leg?
'Cause you wrote: there is only muscle on the back side of it (the leg), and I thought maybe you meant to say no instead of only. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
If i give one fortified b complex sub q how would I do that? Or where would be the best place?
I pull out the skin, "tent it" around the armpit area and inject the needle. I feel where the needle is, inside the skin, make sure it is in far enough and isn't all the way through the skin to inject onto the floor. If it is right, I pull back the syringe to check for blood, no blood, I give the shot. ;) I don't rub in the B complex shot, as it will absorb on it's own.
Warm the b complex first, by cupping your hand around it. It makes it less stingy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts