The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I would like to test my goats. I have 9 total.

How do I get them tested- is it a blood test at the vet?
What all should I test for -- CAE, Cl, Johnson ( not for sure if I spelt right)
Do you test every year?
What if you never bring any new animals on the farm- would you still have to test every so often?

Thank you so much.. I have a lot to learn about this part of raising goaties :)

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
Usually people test for CAE, CL and Johnes. It is a blood test. Most people use WADDL.

It is up to you how often. You would want to test any new animals.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually people test for CAE, CL and Johnes. It is a blood test. Most people use WADDL.

It is up to you how often. You would want to test any new animals.
What is WADDL ?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
washington animal diagnostic disease lab. you draw a red top test tube of blood and send it to waddl with the forms that you can print from their website. you will need an animal accession form and a multiple animal form. you write the name or number on the sample and the form and send it to the address they have on the website. they test on wednesdays so you must have the samples there by tuesday. they will bill you after the tests are run. you ask for serology tests for cl, cae, and johnes.
we test every year, because we show and dont want to take risks. i think it pays to test every so often especially if you intend to sell breeding stock. any buyer that doesnt ask should ask for test results. if you get confused you can call the lab and they will walk you through it

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
The company they does the testing. Go to WADDL.com and there you will find instructions on how to test etc... Bio tracking is another company, but only does CAE.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
If you do have to talk to someone. Johne's is pronounced Yonies, my vet about died laughing when I asked him about Johns disease.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any one know how much it costs?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like testing will definitely have to wait. There's no way I can afford that right now..

Hopefully soon

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
You can do just CAE which is the most important and most accurate test for $4.00 at Bio tracking.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am looking back into testing since Christmas is rolling around soon my husband is going to buy testing for my goats as part of my presents! :)

I have never drawn blood, I am going to have a neighbor (who has) help me, but were do you get the containers to put it in?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts