How to go from 3 to 2 feedings a day.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by billmac, May 21, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Any advice on how to move our bottle babies from 3 to 2 feedings a day? Cold turkey? Gradually? We have one doeling who struggles with taking the bottle. Will this be better or worse for her? They are about 5 weeks old.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If the one doeling isn't taking the bottle well enough yet then I would keep her at three times a day, otherwise for taking a feeding away you just take it away :)

3. Shantarskiye

Shantarskiye Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    I agree, keep the doe that is struggling on it 3 times a day. At two weeks old we feed ours two times a day. (And I would do it gradually.)

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when I cut out abottle I just stop giving it. I dont go down to 2 bottles till aprox 8 weeks old since i wean at 12.

if she is struggling on the bottle does that mean she is struggling to survive or just doesnt like the bottle? If she is eating good otherwise and drinking water from a bucket Iwould treat her just like all the others.

5. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    She doesn't like the bottle. Seems hungry but chokes and gags her way through the bottle. Nibbles hay and grazes outside. More interested in grazing the new green stuff than the other two kids, but less interested in grain.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Is she having respiratory problems at all? I've noticed sometimes when my kids have resp. problems they don't take the bottle that well.

7. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    She doesn't seem to be.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I found that some just reallydislike the bottle. As long as she is eating other stuff and growing (weight her weekly) then I would treat her like the others and wean her when you wean them. NOw if she is tiny and not growing well then I would be concerned.

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    ditto to what Stacey said. Also, if she is gagging and choking maybe she is getting the milk too fast? Try a different teat that has a smaller hole so she gets it slower. Also, have you checked her for cleft pallet? Normally you would find milk coming from her nose, but the way I understand it you can have varying severities of it. Could be something else entirely. I lost a kid last year at 24hrs old, everytime her drank, a heap of it went to his lungs. I figured some sort of defect.

When I cut out a feed, I keep them on the same amount of milk daily just less feeds; but if you were gearing up to weaning you would just remove the feed entirely.