The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are trying to figure out how to secure these feeders to 2x4s so that the goats can't flip them off. The catch is that we need to be able to take them on and off easily so we can't screw them in.
Anyone have any ideas?

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
What type of fence do you have? I use those in the feed stalls. You could always have a board set up like the movie clap boards bolt on one side you lift up in the other side to hold them down. Then lift and remove and replace board down till next feeding.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What type of fence do you have? I use those in the feed stalls. You could always have a board set up like the movie clap boards bolt on one side you lift up in the other side to hold them down. Then lift and remove and replace board down till next feeding.
We were going to mount 2x4s on a fence made of cattle panel and wood posts. Our main fence is all electric string.

Do you have a picture or something so I can see what you're describing? I'm having trouble visualizing it.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
We were going to mount 2x4s on a fence made of cattle panel and wood posts. Our main fence is all electric string.

Do you have a picture or something so I can see what you're describing? I'm having trouble visualizing it.
I don't think I have any pictures left. I had the set up at the old farm when they were younger. Now I use the same feed pans but they don't knock them down any.

If you have the cattle panels those long black over fencegoat feeders normally snap in tight.
Or you could grind a slit in those to fit in the panel without needing a 2x4 attached

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drill holes near edge so you can clip it to the fence with a carabiner.
I think that would work with a wire fence, but we are trying to hang them over a 2x4 and secure them. I'm 99% sure if we just set them over the board somebody will push up on the bottom of the feeder and flip it off.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,633 Posts
I think that would work with a wire fence, but we are trying to hang them over a 2x4 and secure them. I'm 99% sure if we just set them over the board somebody will push up on the bottom of the feeder and flip it off.
What if you put some screw in loops into the two by four? Then you could clip a carabiner into the loop and through the feeder.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,093 Posts
You could always have a board set up like the movie clap boards bolt on one side you lift up in the other side to hold them down.
Writing implement Rectangle Office supplies Pencil Parallel
I understand what is being described. Bottom black line is a 2x4, angled black line could be a piece of 2x4 or smaller sized board, slightly longer than feeder, blue line is the feeder, red at the corner is a hinge. Could fasten the 2 boards together with a screen door fastener/sliding bolt fastener, when closed if it needed to be secured

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
View attachment 212136 I understand what is being described. Bottom black line is a 2x4, angled black line could be a piece of 2x4 or smaller sized board, slightly longer than feeder, blue line is the feeder, red at the corner is a hinge. Could fasten the 2 boards together with a screen door fastener/sliding bolt fastener, when closed if it needed to be secured
We had two eye hooks and a double ended snap to hold it down.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,093 Posts
We had two eye hooks and a double ended snap to hold it down.
Thanks for the clarification, I visualized a hardware hinge connecting the 2 boards to resemble a clap board. Are you saying the 2 eye hooks and the double ended snap were used as a type of hinge for connecting the top board and the 2x4 together to hold the feeder between them?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you actually used them? I've used them unsecured and they will flip them off sometimes if you leave them there, but not while they are eating out of them.
No, but we don't want to take any chances. I think most of them will be done eating before they start thinking of ways to flip it off. We have learned that if we can think of them doing it, they will probably do it lol.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe you can see this picture okay? I can get another without feeder on, but the guy that built the barn rigged this up. Just hangs off it, so I can remove for cleaning easy peasy.
Cool, yeah that's what we are planning on doing. Just with something to latch it on so the goats can't push up on the bottom and flip it off.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 212136 I understand what is being described. Bottom black line is a 2x4, angled black line could be a piece of 2x4 or smaller sized board, slightly longer than feeder, blue line is the feeder, red at the corner is a hinge. Could fasten the 2 boards together with a screen door fastener/sliding bolt fastener, when closed if it needed to be secured
I like this idea best. Drilling holes and attaching carabiners to the feeder would mess with its ability to slide over a 2x4.

·
Registered
381 Posts
UPDATED - added pictures. Looks like 2 screws into smaller board from inside and one screw from outside in. Good luck! I like it, been feeding the 2 girls from these since I got them in 2018.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They generally don't flip it, the one used to slide it to the left. She's such a pig that it was all gone usually before that happened! I'll snap some others to give you a better idea and get them uploaded in an hour or so. It's very simple, but not something I'd come up with or be able to explain!

·
I'm watching you
22,549 Posts
Buy some of these things called hanger bolts. They have wood scew threads on one side and machine thread on the other. Screw into the board and put wing nuts on to secure the feeder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts