How to induce heat in LaMancha doe

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by SorakaTheNigieDwarf, Oct 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SorakaTheNigieDwarf

SorakaTheNigieDwarf New Member

Nov 5, 2015
    I bred her on 8/11. She was for sure in heat, stood for breeding and loved the buck attention (among other heat behaviors), and accepted breeding 3 times in the same day. Her pregnancy tests just came in and boom... not pregnant. I have to induce heat asap in order to show her. She is an animal project and is a show animal... I can't show her without pregnancy at her age. I've looked into lutalyse, but a lot of uncertainty (from what I have seen) surrounds it. What would be the best option for a 16-year old goat breeder? I am comfortable with giving injections, so that is for sure not out of the question. I just need my animal to start cycling so I can breed her as soon as possible.

2. Ranger1

Ranger1 Active Member

Sep 1, 2014
    What lab did you use/what kind of a test was it? My first inclination might be to retest...

3. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    How about have an ultrasound first? Since they would actually see the babies there would be no chance of a false negative. I don't have suggestions on the other, just thinking the test could be wrong.

4. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Active Member

Jan 24, 2013
    How far along was she when you did the test?

Suzanne_Tyler likes this.
  5. SorakaTheNigieDwarf

Nov 5, 2015
    Well, I tested last Wednesday. So over a month.

6. SorakaTheNigieDwarf

Nov 5, 2015
    I'm not entirely sure how to get an ultrasound for a goat.

7. SorakaTheNigieDwarf

Nov 5, 2015
    BioPRYN. Blood test.

8. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Most veterinarians should be able to do one for you.

9. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    My vet usually recommends two months for an ultrasound

10. SorakaTheNigieDwarf

Nov 5, 2015
    Oh, really? Ok! Thanks :)

11. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    You are welcome! I know, I think it's pretty cool. They do maternity care like any doctor. :) Goatzrule says 2 months so you should be right on track to get one done!

Goatzrule likes this.
  12. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Ok just what I have learned from google and the AI class I just took there is a bunch of different ways.
    The lute, from my understanding will work if the goat is already cycling. I tried this a few years back on a doe late in the season and it didn't work. Some people say one shot of lute and breed but another person said unless the egg is there to drop it won't do nothing so you want to lute and then lute again 14 days later, that's what I did and nothing.
    Another 2 ways is putting a cidr in for 14 days and then pull and give lute and the other is PG600. I really don't understand what the difference between the lute and pg is or even the similarities.
    Ok this is the one I'm going to try because a gal in my area that has awesome luck AIing uses this protocol. Give lute, 24 hours later insert the cidr for 14 days then pull. 24 hours after you pull give a shot of pg600 then breed/ AI 50 hours later.
    This was told by someone in the class that hired that lady, they did not know the whys behind it and the lady that put on the class doesn't mess with anything just goes off of natural heats so no one could answer why this was the protocol this lady used

13. Ranger1

Ranger1 Active Member

Sep 1, 2014
    It just seems odd to me that she never showed any more signs of heat. Certain hormones will abort pregnancy, so that's why I'd be a little worried about inducing heat without verifying for certain that she isn't already pregnant. BioPryn is generally very accurate, but still, mistakes can happen...

groovyoldlady likes this.
  14. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Active Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I don't remember off the top of my head, I have sent in blood on potentially pregnant does and the lab stated they preferred at least 45 days post breeding. It might be BioPryn? But I have sent blood work elsewhere too. If she has had no signs of heat, I would be concerned of terminating an early pregnancy even though it came back negative. I would definitely want either a repeat blood test or an ultrasound to make sure. But that is just me.

Good luck with your doe I hope everything gets sorted out.

mariarose likes this.
  15. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh I 100% agree! Be very very sure she isn't already bred. One of the other does I tried the lute protocol ended up being bred threw the fence before I tried it me nothing is more Devastating then accidentally aborting a doe

16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    GNrH will bring a doe into heat, if she isn't preg. If she is preg. it does nothing. Your vet can order it. In my opinion, it is safer than using Lute, especially if you think the doe might be preg.

There are different brand names, for GNrH.