The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
I have a new goat coming in a week or so should I quarantine?

Issue is goat is solo and I don’t have anywhere I can easily separate. I’m concerned it will make a lot of noise being solo

My other goats are due to be wormed I was wondering if it’s ok to just to worm the new goat and skip quarantine.

I am not sure I would be able to notice any non obvious illness during a quarantine period so is there any point?

Ideally I guess it’s best to quarantine it’s just not going to be so easy

Thoughts?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
due to be wormed
Don't worm on a schedule. Worm as needed.

I would quarantine while you get a FAMACHA score, rectal temperature, and fecal test. If you have one docile nice non-dominant goat that you can put in with the new goat that is probably the best plan of action. Your whole herd won't be exposed, and the goat won't be loud and alone. Plus, gives a new goat a built-in buddy for introducing them to a brand new herd.

Only put in the whole herd when health is confirmed, including:

healthy-goat-checklist-1.jpg

https://thegivinggoat.home.blog/2019/02/24/conducting-an-overall-health-assessment-for-a-goat/

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That’s great thanks!

Goat appears to be healthy at least to my untrained eye. Eating well and correct weight.

It’s from a breeder where it’s housed with at least a couple of dozen other goats and sheep and it is currently being banded (wether) so I assume will be receiving antibiotics if that makes any difference

·
Registered
528 Posts
There are risks to not quarantining. The biggest is the new goat being something new in and infecting your herd. Then rather then 1 sick goat you have multiple sick goats.

However, everyone's needs and abilities differ, and some are simply ok with the risk so long ad there are no obvious signs of illness. I mean honestly I have in the past introduced new animals without quarantine and without issue. But is not my preference. My preference is to always have a quarantine pen available so that it's ready in the event of any new or suddenly ill animal. I do have a quarantine pen for my chickens, but not my goats yet that's the next on my to-do list.

Just realize the possible risk that you may be able to avoid and do what you need to do.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
That's great thanks!

Goat appears to be healthy at least to my untrained eye. Eating well and correct weight.

It's from a breeder where it's housed with at least a couple of dozen other goats and sheep and it is currently being banded (wether) so I assume will be receiving antibiotics if that makes any difference
Most do not give antiobiotics when banding. But do ask if they did or have done the cd&t. That should be done. If it has not been you can go on amd give the first dose when he gets to you. Then repeat in a month.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didn't quarantine one of my new goats and the next thing I knew, 2 weeks later almost all of my goats had sore mouth and lice. Won't be making that mistake again...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most do not give antiobiotics when banding. But do ask if they did or have done the cd&t. That should be done. If it has not been you can go on amd give the first dose when he gets to you. Then repeat in a month.
When I banded mine, I gave cd&t and sprayed blu-kote on it's testicles. I would re-spray when the color started to wear off or if I noticed gnats around him.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
When I banded mine, I gave cd&t and sprayed blu-kote on it's testicles. I would re-spray when the color started to wear off or if I noticed gnats around him.
I am just not a big advocate on the blue or red kotes... if they get an infection you cannot see the signs of it using those. Some people do use and love it. It is just not for us here. We use vetricyn, diluted iodine, hibaclense, diluted chlorhexadine and neosporin. I have used it when trimmin hooves and i got too far and hit blood in a pinch. Just because it stays on hooves better than neo will. But i only dab a tinny bit on the bleedy part not all over.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I am just not a big advocate on the blue or red kotes... if they get an infection you cannot see the signs of it using those. Some people do use and love it. It is just not for us here. We use vetricyn, diluted iodine, hibaclense, diluted chlorhexadine and neosporin. I have used it when trimmin hooves and i got too far and hit blood in a pinch. Just because it stays on hooves better than neo will. But i only dab a tinny bit on the bleedy part not all over.
Iodine and Neosporin for band issues - tried and true, works well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts