The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting my new doeling on Saturday, she’s only 10 weeks old I’m afraid my other goats will gang up her, and my one goat has horns and she knows how to use them 😎
I have a pen that is 12 feet by 6 feet, should I put her in there and let them get aquatinted through the fence, but the problem with that is she’ll be all by herself, will she be okay?
If you have any ideas please let me know

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I think if she can see and interact with the goats through the fence, I’d start with the pen because being alone is likely better than being beat up, especially since she’s so young. Do you have a docile goat (close to the same age/size) you could put in with her for company? Or do you plan to quarantine for bio security first?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think if she can see and interact with the goats through the fence, I’d start with the pen because being alone is likely better than being beat up, especially since she’s so young. Do you have a docile goat (close to the same age/size) you could put in with her for company? Or do you plan to quarantine for bio security first?
She is from a clean tested herd so I’m not worried about that, I don’t have any goats her size, but the herd queen is probably the most friendly, I could put her with her and see if they bond and if they do maybe she’ll protect the baby from the other goats

·
Registered
227 Posts
The "herd queen" also the most dominant? I wouldnt.. not all but most adult does are gonna beat up a baby that aint hers. If it were mine id put her in the pen for a few days then Slowy take her on walks in the pasture remember throwing her out there entirely she dont have a momma to protect her

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "herd queen" also the most dominant? I wouldnt.. not all but most adult does are gonna beat up a baby that aint hers. If it were mine id put her in the pen for a few days then Slowy take her on walks in the pasture remember throwing her out there entirely she dont have a momma to protect her
My goat that is the herd queen is dominant in a gentle kind of way, I know that’s unusual but she is my least aggressive goat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts