How to keep birds from eating the goat's grain?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by keren, Jun 11, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I went out with Dewey and Louie's bottles this afternoon 3pm and the eyes nearly fell out of my head :shocked: they've eaten all their pellets! Amazing for such young guys!

So I gave them their bottle and went and refilled the bowl of pellets.

Bout half an hour later mum comes in and says there is about a hundred sparrows eating the little guys pellets :doh:

Suggestions for how to stop this please? I dont mind the kids having ad lib pellets but I dont really want to be feeding the sparrow population round here ...

2. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Would one of those fake owls put on the closest fence discourage the sparrows? I know in gardens around here some people also use aluminum pie plates attached to streamers, etc. But I think an owl would be the best, unless you have a few cats around. Start feeding the cats near that goat pen.

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Chickens!!!! :greengrin: My Aruacanas HATE the other birds and will chase them(kill if they catch) away

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    the owl idea may work.......they also have reflector tape that detours birds....tie it around here and there... where you want them to stay away from... :wink:

I don't recommend chickens.. only because... once they find the grain source... they are in it to... :doh: ....this is from experience and very aggravating.... :help: :doh:

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

You can put a creep feeder around it, with a lid of somesort. Make a door for the goats. I dont suggest chickens either, they will chase other birds away but as soon as they find the goats pellets they will eat them too. the owl might work, but i find that birds just get used to it and they they arnt afraid of it, same with reflective tape and cd's
    Do the goats have a shed that you can put their feed in and they can still get to it?
    beth

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    the kiddos are in a shed but its three sided, so they get in really easy

yeah I dont think putting the chooks in there is an option - they will just eat it!

the cat is a fat lazy house cat lol she very rarely catches birds and when she does its a galah not a sparrow (that includes my pet galah :( )

the kiddos have a little house they can crawl into, maybe I should try putting it in that?

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would try putting the pellets in their house, most birds won't go into such an enclosed area to steal food.

8. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    i'm having the opposite problem...

my little Igor LOVES the chicken feed, i can't get him to leave it alone!! :angry:

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Be careful with him getting in the chicken feed....it is not good for goats.... :wink:
    Do whatever you can to keep him out of it.... :hug:

10. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    i try SO HARD!! i give him his alfalfa and goat feed in his pen, then go to the other side of the barn to feed the geese/chickens and he comes a running!! :doh: luckily, the geese don't put up with him for long

the other goats could care less, they love their feed, Igor has always been odd though