The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I would love to have my goats eat what little weeds we have on our property and they love them but prefer the trees. So if I let them out they will eat the trees before they eat the weeds. Ideas???

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,452 Posts
You can wrap wire and make fencing with wood etc. around the parts of the trees they can reach.

But what can you say, that’s what they’re supposed to eat and they like it! I get the frustration though!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can wrap wire and make fencing with wood etc. around the parts of the trees they can reach.

But what can you say, that's what they're supposed to eat and they like it! I get the frustration though!
I know it's our fruit trees and we only have one acre sadly.
I thought of that but I dont think it will work because we have 20+ trees and my mom done want them surrounded.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Oh, fruit trees! They ARE very tasty! (Oh, I sort of reacted with my goat nature now, sorry!)

I would suggest that you wrap the stems with 3-4 layers of wooden sticks, tie the sticks together with wire, only a small space between sticks, make a long mat as broad as the stem is high. Then roll the mat several times around the stem.

Make it easy to loosen the mat, to make room for the stem to grow.

If branches are within reach, they have to be protected, too.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
You are not going to stop them from eating their favorite, and natural!! food.

Not if they can reach them at all.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I would tie them out then. If you don’t have that area fenced in with a really good fence I wouldn’t leave them alone out there though. Just grab a chair and chat on the phone, read a book, or whatever so you can keep a eye on them. If it is fenced in well you can put their leash, chain, whatever is used to tie them out inside a garden hose to keep them from getting tightly tangled where it will cause them harm. But I still wouldn’t tie them out and leave for a day or anything.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I tie my goats out. I had to put them on chains because they will worry a rope in two. I used to use those drive in the ground stakes for dogs. They don't work for goats. Goats are hard headed and need something substantial to hold them, t-posts driven two feet into the ground. That idea of putting chain through a hose like @Jessica84 said is very good idea, goats can tie a knot in a chain that will take two days to untie. It takes a lonnnggg time to teach the goats that only one at a time out of the gate. Not to mention the embarrassment of getting run over by a bunch of knee high Nigerian Dwarf Goats when you open the gate.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tie my goats out. I had to put them on chains because they will worry a rope in two. I used to use those drive in the ground stakes for dogs. They don't work for goats. Goats are hard headed and need something substantial to hold them, t-posts driven two feet into the ground. That idea of putting chain through a hose like @Jessica84 said is very good idea, goats can tie a knot in a chain that will take two days to untie. It takes a lonnnggg time to teach the goats that only one at a time out of the gate. Not to mention the embarrassment of getting run over by a bunch of knee high Nigerian Dwarf Goats when you open the gate.
When I tie them up they dont eat.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My goats live inside a wooded area. Mostly mulberry trees and Larch

What works for me is I wrap the tree trunks in 1/2” hardware cloth from ground level up to the height a goat can reach. Also have to trim any low enough branches or leaves again to goat reaching height.

Weak saplings that they can push over they will do to get at the leaves so such trees have to be attached to a stake also.

1/2” hardware cloth wrapped around the trunk held on with cable ties. It works, it’s almost invisible and it’s easy to adjust when tree grows

I leave a pair of snips in the pen son When I’m in the pen I just make sure I trim any leaves/branches that I see that are at my eye height (as an easy guide)

Haven’t lost or had any tree damage since doing this

Attached pic was before I had finished wrapping a large larch tree - typical goat

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts