How to keep the goaties warm? *update*

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay the only problem I've found with the barn that I keep the goats in is that the wind tends to blow in pretty easily. I was going to put my huge dog crate in with the boys since they can both easily fit into it and fill it with hay. But what can I do for the girls? I was thinking some plywood and make a "box" for them to go into. What do you think?

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Re: How to keep the goaties warm?

That should work. If I had a picture of the barn that they are in I could give you a better idea of what you could do. If they have straw or some type of bedding on the ground and they are together they should be plenty warm.

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Here's a picture of the barn. They only get the one "stall" and I divided that in half between the girls and boys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN

It looks good as it is to me. Where does the wind come from? The open side or the covered sides mostly? I hope that doesn't sound stupid. :oops: Our barn is the same way. We have a little more bedding down and they stay warm together.

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Well the wind blows from where the covered side is but when it was snowing (with wind) it kept getting into the barn. And I have a TON of hay down right now for bedding. (although they tend to eat some of it)

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN

Our goats eat some of their bedding too. Are they seeming to be cold or are you just being precausious? I'm by no means doubting your judgement JW. Is their any way you could nail another board on the bottom of the covered sides and help to keep it out?

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I have a fairly draft free barn but on really cold nights, my boys especially, I worry that the "main man" would bully them out of a warm place to sleep.....I have a bench built inside the smaller shed thats big enough for the 2 little guys to get under...I boxed it in so theres an opening on the front side, mind you though, mine are mini's and the box concept will work, just on a bigger scale. If you can take a corner of the barn that has walls on 2 sides already you can nail a 6 foot 2x4 at a height of 4 feet and make a box from there....4H by 6 wide by 6 deep would be snug for your girls but they would be warm with less area to heat with bodies.

I see your girls are in the middle.....go by the back wall and make a box as wide as their run but make it higher in the front to prevent them from getting on top of it and joining the boys. 6 feet high in the front to taper down to 4 feet in the back and 6 feet deep should be plenty room for them./

8. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

I noticed some pallets leaning against the side of the shed?

We don't have any room in our shed for the bucks, so we pounded six posts shaped like a square kind of, and took three pallets and slipped the pallets over the posts, nailed two old wooden doors across the top, and nailed black plastic over everything except the opening to keep wind out.. kind of hard to explain, i'll post a little diagram.
    Anyway, we filled it with straw, and now the bucks stay nice and warm!

Pretend the black dots are posts, the brown pallets.

[​IMG]

9. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

I don't think it's her shed so I don't know what the owners would think of pounding nails all over, let alone pounding posts inside.

10. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Yeah I have to be careful because it's not my barn. They've been shivering a lot lately. Especially since we have a major ice storm coming on Monday I want to get them as warm as possible. The three girls are now on the side and the boys are in the middle one.

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

how much resources do you have to build a shelter??

i made a simple thing on paint.. it kinda shows what i did.. only i slanted mine cause its actually in a field

its pretty much an 8' long box

i can take pictures of mine.. they work really well.. and you could enclose the front and just leave an opening for them to go in and out

i used 4'x8' plywood and 2x4 's and it was really easy.. and they are moveable

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

That's a really neat idea, Amos. I have a bunch of pallets laying around. . . . I like to have a couple different shelters throughout their pen, so anyone who gets kicked out has somewhere to go.

Also, a nice plan SDK. :) You guys and gals are all so creative! :D

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

i'm gonna take pictures of my shelters today or tomorrow.

they work really well.. i'm thinking about adding a front to them to keep them even warmer

it looks like snow here today

it was 69 yesterday.. and the news says snow is possible tonight

wth?

14. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada

I too have been wondering how far to go to keep my goats warm this winter. As you may or may not know, I built them a pretty nice shelter which goes a long way towards keeping the wind, rain and snow off them. However, it sure doesn't keep the cold out. I see different posts here referencing the cold weather' and I'm wondering just what constitutes cold weather. I see posts from Florida all the way north to Alaska, so I guess everyone has their own definition.

The thing is, it is -15F right now and is supposed to drop to -22F overnight. I checked in on the girls this morning and they were all shivering and absolutely refused(for the first time ever) to go outside to their feeder to eat. So, I put feed in their indoor feeder and hooked up a small electric heater (maybe 6" sq by 2" deep) and put it on a timer so that it runs for 1/2 hr every 2 hrs. My worry is that I may be doing more harm than good. The heater warms the place up to about -5F or so. Is that going to cause respiratory problems if I continue to do this until the cold snap breaks? Am I killing them with kindness or should things be OK?

15. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA

We just got a huge barn and it is sectioned off for does, weithers, babies, materity ward, mini horses, and bucks, But also large and small goats. We use dog houses in the inclosed barn. Boss swears by dog houses.

16. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada

BUMP

I don't mean to be rude but does anyone have any advice concerning:
    The thing is, it is -15F right now and is supposed to drop to -22F overnight. I checked in on the girls this morning and they were all shivering and absolutely refused(for the first time ever) to go outside to their feeder to eat. So, I put feed in their indoor feeder and hooked up a small electric heater (maybe 6" sq by 2" deep) and put it on a timer so that it runs for 1/2 hr every 2 hrs. My worry is that I may be doing more harm than good. The heater warms the place up to about -5F or so. Is that going to cause respiratory problems if I continue to do this until the cold snap breaks? Am I killing them with kindness or should things be OK?

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

I wish I could help creaturesall. :scratch:

SDK that one reminds me of what they use for the pigs at our school. lol

Amos I like your idea too. Might see what I can do, if I can't get any pallets I'll try to get some plywood or something and vice versa. :wink:

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

you are right cold is relative.

Since you are not boosting the temp to something like say 40 degrees F and then back into the fridgid temps you arent killing them with kindness.

In my state of NJ the temps get cold but not enough to cause them to be in discomfort. The only times i see my goats shiver is when it gets like a high of 5 degrees or lower. so -22 would be more then nippy! :shocked: I to would be thinking of something to warm up the area even for short periods -----so good idea. I think you have the right idea with it not being on constantly but enough to give them a respit from the cold.

19. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada

Thanks so much Stacy. I really appreciate the input. I spoil those critters so much I sometimes worry it is not all to the good. It is -22F right now and it's only 9:00PM. It will surely get even colder overnight. I'll be getting up early and checking on them. When I just now came in from :ZZZ: tucking them in :ZZZ: for the night it was about -12F in their shed & :shocked: no frost :shocked: on their noses.
    Thanks again Stacy. Much appreciated.

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

no problem I would be worried about the cold temp more then raising the temp as that is quite a drop in temp for them.

ok to many "temp"s in there :slapfloor: