How to Know if Goats Need Copper

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by The-Goat-Posse, Oct 12, 2017.

1. The-Goat-Posse

The-Goat-Posse Member

Aug 29, 2016
    I have some goats I know definitely need it since they're starting to get the fish tail and really furry back legs (furry pants as I like to call them), but there are two does in particular I'm questioning. Their coats aren't too bad, but they are starting to get a tiny bit of brown in their black fur. No fish tail present. I'm just so scared of overdosing them. I didn't even know copper deficiency was a thing until recently Then I realized how much some of my goats fit the description.

2. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    According to 4 separate large animal vets that I listened to at a parasite conference here in Maine, you can give copper as often as every 4 weeks. In fact, that was how often they recommended giving it in the warmer months to keep parasites at bay. However, they didn't specify dosage levels. I had a goat who was very deficient and mega dosed her at 4 week intervals. I dosed my other does at a "normal" level every 6 weeks. They all look super now!

Chances are the girls who are only showing a slight need will do better if you dose them now so they don't get as bad as the others. The others may need to be dosed a little more often until they are looking better. Once you have everyone looking sharp and healthy, you can try cutting back to a little less often or use lower doses.

I think you'd have to really work at it to overdose your goats - especially if you live in a copper deficient area.

mariarose, The-Goat-Posse and Dayna like this.

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    I would definitely give them some. Even if they're only showing slight symptoms, they still need it and it's basically impossible to OD.

groovyoldlady and The-Goat-Posse like this.
  4. The-Goat-Posse

The-Goat-Posse Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Thanks guys! Now I don't feel so intimidated. I just don't want to hurt my goats. But if it takes a lot to do so, that makes me feel better.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  5. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    Just make sure you're using the copper oxide bolus.
    Copper sulfate is poisonous in too high of doses.