The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 mini-Nubians are 4 & 5 months old and need their hooves trimmed. I do have a milk stand! What's the easiest way to leash train them & train them to get on the milk stand? :whatgoat:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I started with just feeding my girls their grain or some kind of snacks in the stand. They were nervous at first but eventually they learn to relax and eat. From there I just start touching their legs and petting them. I think it helps to do that for a couple days and when they're used to try trimming them.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds good! I put the stand in their pen area (I don't have a lot of room) and they were all over it yesterday. They are used to me petting them when they eat, it's a start. But I have not got them used to being on a lead yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
When I start leash training I tie them to a secure fence post. I stand with them, feed them, talk, and pet them while they pull and pull their own weight. I don't have to stress out they are yanking my arm off and it's safe for them since I'm standing there with them. I never leave them it's not safe but for training it's done in small doses over a period of days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts