How to locate tattoos

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by logansmommy7, Jan 23, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    So-I bought two ADGA registered goats from a breeder locally (I am a newbie with goats) and I am wondering how to find the tattoo on their ear. Obviously the hair covers it. Is it on the inside, outside, do I need a flashlight? :whatgoat: I am thinking it should be on the right ear??? My goats are NDs..

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep, take a flashlight and shine in on the outside of the ear. the tat is on the inside - the hairless part. people usually use green as it shows on black and white skin. some tats can be seem w/o a light.

but if the goat is lamanche, it'd be on the tail since they dont have ears big enough :) lol

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep, what Katrina said. You can usually turn the ear almost inside out and shine the flashlight through the furry side of the ear while looking at the bare side. The tattoo is inside the ear, not on the furry, top part. Do this when it's dark out...you can see it much easier than in the day light.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They are right..... what they said... :wink: :greengrin:

5. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I have had some of my older does tattoos fade away and had to re-tattoo them also

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if done right you should be ablet o see them with out a flashlight.

as to the tatoos -- there is a herd tatoo on the right ear and the year and number on the left ear