How to milk a Mini-Nubian with Small Teats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by AngelGoats, Feb 14, 2011.

1. AngelGoats

AngelGoats New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Ok all, I have a first freshener and am having troubles figuring out how to milk her with her small teats. I am used to her mamma, a pure Nubian, that has huge teats. Any ideas or where can I find the info? Thanks so much! :hair: :?

2. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I use to raise mini nubians.You use your thumb and two fingers is all and just pinch with your thumb and pointer finger and middle finger kind of slides downward to extract milk.Kind of hard to explain honestly but it can be done.One reason why I stoped raising minis cus I got hand cramps bad from it :/

3. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I had a hard time finding anything on milking nigis when I first started! This is how I do it: Curl your index finger around the end of your thumb. Now roll your thumb downward, pressing it against your middle and then ring fingers.
    Do this a few times right now, then do it on the teat. Hope this helps! ;)
    As JessaLynn said, you might only be doing it with your thumb and two fingers.

4. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    you milk little teats same as big teats
    you just use less fingers
    lol
    start by dropping your pinky
    if still too much
    drop your ring finger
    that should do the trick :wink:
    also
    grab a little more of the udder at the top
    "Practice makes Perfect"

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    EXACTLY! :thumbup:

LOL...I have large hands and milking nigies took some practice but definately very rewarding once you get the technique down :wink:

6. Kat404

Kat404 New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Could someone make a video or show some pictures?

7. Sensible

Sensible New Member

Jun 14, 2013
    New England
    This is one problem that I don't think that a lot of people who started developing these so-called miniature dairy goat breeds gave much thought to when they started. I can't imagine that it's any fun, or very efficient to milk them. They're basically a novelty, not really suitable for intensive milking.

8. AmyBoogie

AmyBoogie New Member

May 20, 2013
    Maine
    I have a full size breed with smaller teats so I looked up videos. This one helped me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQL38sgf-4o

She milks different goats with different teats and the video is from different angles.

9. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    This video was a life saver for me when my Toggenburg does first freshened, they had teats that made the Nigerian does in this video look huge. i called them micro-teats. My mini nubian has bigger teats than they had, but the skills I learned from this video and from practice on my Togg girls really prepared me for milking her.

10. AmyBoogie

AmyBoogie New Member

May 20, 2013
    Maine
    My girl is 50% Togg and a FF Please tell me they get bigger.

11. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    It depends a lot on the doe. I sold the one that was bred for a second freshening and it looks like hers got a little bigger but I am not sure since she isn't mine any more and i only saw her at two weeks fresh. Her sister (the one with the super tiny teats) didn't manage to get pregnant for this kidding season so I don't know if they will be better the second time around yet.... but they did not increase in size noticeably through 6 months of being fresh. Their udders were otherwise gorgeous and the one i sold is milking a gallon a day with a wonderful high tight udder with strong attachments..... but those teats, ugh.... I got a mixed breed doeling back from the one I sold (buyer bought her bred but just wanted her for milk, had no need for mixed breed babies so gave her back to me) and at 10 weeks old her teats are already bigger than her dam's were when she freshened the first time.

12. AmyBoogie

AmyBoogie New Member

May 20, 2013
    Maine
    Thank you. The udder attachment on this doe is really nice. She has decent show confirmation as well. I didn't even think about the teat size until I got her home. She's a sweetheart but I'm planning on breeding up so her daughters will be better. We love her so I'll deal with the tiny even if she doesn't get bigger.

13. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I have an alpine FF that has really small teats. Her dam had large teats so I was surprised that hers were so small. This has been a helpful thread.

14. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    Typically yes teats get larger with age. In width, and length. Not like a drastic 2 inch growth per year or anything obscene but they do stretch out with usage.

15. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    That is the situation with mine as well. i even kept Ivy and sold her sister, who was, IMO, the better of the two.... just because i am so attached to Ivy. Not that she was not as nice a doe, just that she had the smaller teats and slightly lower production compared to her sister.... but she is just one of my favourites. So i will struggle through because I am a sucker for a pretty face, lol.

16. ETDairygoats

ETDairygoats Beylabee Saanens

Feb 16, 2013
    Ireland
    My Toggenburg has very small teats. I put my thumb and index finger on the top of the teat and I pull down, be careful not to have your fingers too tight! I find this method really easy if your fingers are wet, so its handy having a cup of water to dip your fingers in.
    I can milk a Saanen that gives me 1.5l everytime I milk her in about 4 - 7 mins.

17. ETDairygoats

ETDairygoats Beylabee Saanens

Feb 16, 2013
    Ireland
    We used to have a Saanen goat about 6 years ago and on her first freshening she had tiny teats but they stretched as she freshened. There was a big difference between her first freshening teats and 3rd freshening teats.

18. Texaslass

Texaslass New Member

May 15, 2013
    Our French alpines have tiny teats. They never got long enough for my taste; maybe 3 inches or so, and not exactly shaped for grabbing easily. This is their 4th F, and I geuss they've only strected an inch or so. I'm hoping their daughters from this year will be better, as we're hoping to milk them next year. I've milked some Nigerians that were easier.

19. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    I had full sized Lamancha doe with tiny teats. I would bump her udder with my hand so the tissue was moved up. Then I would grab some extra skin above the tea but make sure I didn't grab udder tissue. This helped. I have serious arthritis in my hands, so milking her the regular way was painful. This way was not.

I bred this doe to my Nubian buck who comes from a long line of national show winning udders. Her first 2 does just freshened this year with "too die for" teats!

20. OutdoorDreamer

OutdoorDreamer Member

Mar 29, 2012
    WV Panhandle
    My Alpine FF had really small teats when she freshened last month, I could not even milk them. But now four weeks in, they are actually "milk-able" but still make my hands hurt. I hope to see them improve with next freshening.