The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'll not be "me" and just make this short and sweet :p does anyone have this thing and if you do how do you use it to pasteurize milk

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07D48QQVR/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A10KT5RNOXHXVF&psc=1

Since most of you all are probably baffled by why I want to do this I'll explain lol I have a abundance of milk. Most of it is being used on bottle babies and I'm slipping some to the chickens and the dogs now and then. But at some point I need to wean babies. Freezer room is limited since we butcher our own beef and what little room we do end up with I use for colostrum. So I'm going to try my hand at dehydrating milk so make powdered milk and store it that way. But when looking into it, it was very much stressed that the milk should be pasteurized before doing so. I found a post on FB months ago about using this thing to pasteurize and had saved it but I have no clue how to pasteurize milk. So if you could take me by the hand that would be awesome ;)

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Ok I'll not be "me" and just make this short and sweet :p does anyone have this thing and if you do how do you use it to pasteurize milk

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07D48QQVR/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A10KT5RNOXHXVF&psc=1

Since most of you all are probably baffled by why I want to do this I'll explain lol I have a abundance of milk. Most of it is being used on bottle babies and I'm slipping some to the chickens and the dogs now and then. But at some point I need to wean babies. Freezer room is limited since we butcher our own beef and what little room we do end up with I use for colostrum. So I'm going to try my hand at dehydrating milk so make powdered milk and store it that way. But when looking into it, it was very much stressed that the milk should be pasteurized before doing so. I found a post on FB months ago about using this thing to pasteurize and had saved it but I have no clue how to pasteurize milk. So if you could take me by the hand that would be awesome ;)
@Goat Whisperer i am pretty sure has pasteurized milk before.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol I swear it’s just allergies healthy is happy lol
I hope they come along soon. I googled it when I could today and I got the basics of it, put jar of milk in water turn on, but it seems there’s there’s a bunch of different times and temps to go off of. I don’t know, I guess even a attempted pasteurized is better then nothing. Although with the freak out of no milk in my area I’m thinking maybe I have a different road I can take with this milk lol (joking......kinda)

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,584 Posts
So is it like a heating element you put in whatever you are cooking and it keeps it at a certain temperature? (knowing nothing about this) Why can't you pasteurize milk on a stovetop?

I love the dry milk idea. Is this something you have seen done or just something you are trying out yourself?

Sorry that no one has had and answers for you yet. :(

·
Registered
595 Posts
We have a pasteurizer, but used to stove-top pasteurize (we have immune compromised people here, raw milk is a huge no go). We would put the milk in a double boiler and heat the milk to 165* for 15 seconds, then chill as quickly as possible (Ice bath).

Everything needs to be sterile.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MellonFriend I’m not sure why this would make it easier, I tried to find the post last night and couldn’t, but I remember everyone was raving about it.
I have not tried dehydrating milk yet, it just seems like the best option to try for me and not wasting this. It might be a total failure lol
Ok goat Whisper I’m going to try this first. So since I have a propane stove and it’s hard to get temps just right, if it happens to go over 165 I’m assuming that’s ok? And how are you sterilizing everything before hand? Just boil?

·
Registered
595 Posts
It's okay if it goes over some. Some ultra-pasteurize their milk, but we don't. Our stove is propane too, you can generally get it pretty dialed in. Just make sure you stir the milk.

Yes, you can boil your utensils :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts